Laney Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phoenixdown, Oct 17, 2002.

1. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Im Needed a new amp around 100 watts and ive seen a laney HCM120b and a Laney RBW300/400 so if any1 could give me any opinions on what to go for would be a great boost. im gonna be running a fender p bass special deluxe thru it once that comes in the post
  2. alien533

Feb 21, 2002
    yeah they are good i just got me a laney rbw200 and it sounds really good! nice and punchy and really bassy..

Hope that helped! :)
  3. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I've got a Laney B1 head. Great amp. And I found the people at Laney a great help.
  4. they don't sound any good to me, thats just my opinion.
    is it a combo or a head your looking for?. If its combo's u want i stand by the Hartke B-series (paper cones), or the lil ashdowns for a bit more power.

5. Well, I do not have a lot of expierence with Laney amps, but I do have 2 1x12 Laney cbs, with 100 watt eminence drivers, sounds good to me! ;)
  6. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    i would prefer a head and cab but i dont really wanna spend more than 300-350 coz i cant gaunrtee any live use but my 25 watt is gettin drowned out at practices.
  7. Well, in my expierience, Laney CABS are cool! very versitille.

On here, I've heard good things about Harkte, so try combining the too?

Also Avatar are very well spoken of!

What about trace eliot? have a look at their heads! I think they are in "budget" range!

What do you have to compete with in practise? what amp/how loud are your guitarist(s)/drummer?
  8. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    65 watt amp and a semi loud drummer(depends on her mood really)
  9. OK, I think maybe 200 watts is what you might loking for - thats what I have, easily turned down, and then, once your band gets bigger, you won't need to upgrade...

100-200 watts IMO
  10. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    the rbw 300/400 are 165 watts so would they be big enuff?there aint much difference between em cept for a tenner and ones angled back and ones not does that make any difference?
  11. I shouldn't think so, mate... But I'm no expert.

What size are the speakers?

Also, here's a tip - try other speakers, not just the laney's, everything you see, and try each speaker through a different head.

If you buy something you don't love, take EXTREME care of it so that when you sell it to buy your new MESA rig, you'll get a decent price on your old rig.

Good luck on your amp huntings :D
  12. has anyone tried the rbg500? i am looking at this as a new amp, but cant find anywhere to try it out.
  13. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    yer but i cant try it out coz the only shops near me deal mainly in guitar and dont have much in the way of bass i think 1 shop had a laney hcm in at 1 point but i dunno if it still there but its well overpriced coz there a epi thunderbird is 350 and online at they are 250
  14. I've got a DB300 for sale if you are interested in buying a Laney. It has the tube preamp as well as the solid state, both mixable, 9 band graphic and all the other gubbins that Laney could put onto one amp. Too fussy for me.
    Great amps if you want hundreds of different tones.