Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowfive, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Lowfive

Lowfive

Mar 26, 2000
    What do guys think of Laney Combo bass amps?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    MUCH cheaper and MUCH heavier (both by a factor of 3 I guess) than the Gallien Krueger combo you where asking about in a prevoious thread! :D

For what I've heard: great bang for the buck, but no snobby high end stuff.

Matthias

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I tried one out a few weeks ago i dunno the model name or number it was a stage monitor wedge thing. I liked the way it sounds & one of my friends likes the name since add another "n" to it [Laney into Lanney]=one of her nicknames.

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i got a laney combo, theres really not much volume to it and i really dont like the sound. it distorts at really low gain, the sound is real flat, it gets a lot of radio interception, and the only reason i have it is cus it came with a starter bass package. im gonna get a eden nemesis soon to replace that peice of ****.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My high school jazz band had a Laney 1x15 100w amp. I've never personally used it (I played trumpet) but from what I heard during rehearsal and performance the amp was very unremarkable. The bass player in the vocal jazz ensemble used a Fender Bassman 1x10 combo with the same bass, and that sounded much better to me. The sound was a lot fuller than the Laney.

6. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    I have a Laney DB 300C combo, and I think it plays well. But I haven't tried many other amps, so if I had some more experience on amplifiers, I'd maybe not have the same opinon.. :) The only problem is that the speakers (2*12") don't handle a very high volume, but that's not a problem when using a external cabinet.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I have played a Laney... um... "something-120" combo and it sucked. Period. Thanks to that, I don't even look to Laneys anymore.

8. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    I have a Laney. It is a BC-75. try to stay clear of this amp and of what i am hearing any Laney amp. It had good power when i first got it...but has seemed to die since then. you can't play with the eq...at a reasonable volume-gain level without it distorting, it makes you think there is a short in the damn cord, and it is well...you get my point. buy something that you will actually get your moneys worth out of. if i wouldn't have got mine at such a low price i won't of touched it.

9. Lowfive

Lowfive

Mar 26, 2000
    Well it sounds as if these amps, well, suck.

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    LOL! i had a laney linebacker.. it was 50 watts with a 15.. blah blah.. i liked it.. after it blew.. then it couldnt make bad sounds =oD