Laney cabs, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Saw some Laney MB cabs being marketed at this large webstore, the price was quite amazing. 4x10 cab was something like 300 bucks and 1x15 about 50 bucks less.

I wonder has anyone tried these out? There aren't many brands selling so cheap 4x10's.
  2. I played for 4 months on a 120W 15" Laney
    well...I did not like that laney..I cannot speak for other Laneys, but I do not think they should make bass-stuff :D
  3. It depends what model they are. Laney used to make very cheap and cheerful stuff which was not really up to the same standard as the other big manufacturers but lately the quality has improved dramatically and I've seen some superb reviews.

Don't be put off by someone who played with laney years ago and now has a prejudice against it. The marketplace these days is so competitive that no manufacturer can put out crap gear and expect to survive.
  4. Further to my last post, if you tell me what model number they are, I'll have a look and see if I've got a review.
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I found them "cheaply" made and the sound was not great. Its up to you and what your applications are. If you are in a giggin band I would stay clear from this cab. Its a budget cab and you'll get decent tones out of it.

I tried one out in a store with an SWR SM-900. There was a Goliath III and a Laney MB side to side so I just switched them to see if there was a difference in tone. Big difference. SWR of course sounded 100% tighter/cleaner. I don't know, I see a lot of used Laney heads/cabs in my area so.....i guess that would say something? :rolleyes:
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I never heard the bass cabs but a guitarist @ a party i was playing at had 2 2X12 cabs [75watts] and 1 100watt head and thought he had 300 watts-:rolleyes: I thought it sounded like crap-no good tone what so ever-we tried to EQ it but yuck-not sure if he was under powering the cabs or what but i don't really wanna play with that stack again. thats all