Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney combo (300 watt) problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey, i have a Laney 300 watt combo that ive had for about 2 years, and do gigs with it occasionaly, it usually sounds fine at gigs..

But today at band practice, when i turned it up (gain on 7) and volume on 4/5 it sounded really fuzzy and blurry it sounds fine and clear on say 2 or 3 (which for this amp is quite loud) but when i crank it up for band practice and it goes into a clean verse it just sounds horrible.. can anyone tell me what the problem is or how to resolve it?

Thanks.

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes, youre underpowered.

It affects all of us, and why Im moving from a Laney 300W (R5 right?) to the Ashdown rig im saving for. That amp was realy nice, but simply not loud enough for my band. So, enough about me, youre still sadly underpowered, maybe a new amp? Your bandmates can turn down?

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
  4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Try turning your volume almost all of the way up and adjusting your gain to taste. That gets your signal to the output stage quicker. You're letting your preamp do most of the work-- let the power section handle it.

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thanks man, i'll give that a try, and see how it goes.. i was worried i blown the thing.. but i mean if youve 'blown' it does it mean it stops working all together or the speaker sounds all fuzzy and bad?

6. chimone

chimone

Mar 25, 2005
    As he said that should work, u might also try having your middle range frequencies lower than your higher and lower, this should achieve a much nicer tone.
    :)

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    No no no no and no.

Cutting mid range and boosting bass and treble removes the frequencies you need to be heard.

Whilst this might sound wonderful by yourself, in a full band context you will get buried in the mix. Try boosting the mids or low mids (graphic eq :D ) and leave the lowest frequencies flat or slightly cut.

Hope this helps.
    Jack

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

+1

Don't bother with an Ampeg either, it won't give you what you need (ie it's still underpowered). Sounds like you need to be thinking seriously about a kilowatt rig. Something along the lines of a Stewart 2.1, or a Carvin DCM-2000. Either of those will give you "enough" power for live performances, and you can front-end them with the preamp of your choice, to get the sound(s) you want, either crisp and dynamic solid state, or warm and crunchy tube.

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Did he say which ampeg?

I mean, I agree with you about the rig suggestion, but if hes gunning for an SVT4 and an 810 or something, he'll be covered. :)

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Well im thinking about getting the PR-410HLF with a svt pro 4 head, but im not really quite sure, i have no education on whats good.. i just want something decent, and i just figured ampeg would be the way to go..

My tone is very bassy, and not a lot of treble, but i did try that volume all the way and then set the gain to the limit i wanted.. and it pretty much worked, i guess its just the volume.. or pickups?.. could my battery for my active pickups need changing or?..

Cheers

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Could be any of those.

Ampeg dont really excel at bassy tones. You might want to look at Eden or something, but thats probably for a different thread, and the search function.

Having said that, Ive heard lots of people saying the 4Pro is very quiet for its rating.