1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Laney combo.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicpug, Mar 13, 2008.

1. musicpug

musicpug

Mar 11, 2008
    U.K.
    Right! I could do with a little advice here! I own a Laney RB8 1x15" 300 watt combo. As I'm sure most of you know, a "300 watt" combo, actually only puts out about 200 watts into the internal speaker, and needs an additional cab to produce the full 300 watts. What I want to know is, can you fit a 4 ohm speaker of suitable rating, and get 300 watts into the internal speaker? Laney said yes as long as I didn't connect another cab. But I want to know if anyone has done in the real world!
    If it works, it could save me having to buy an ext. cab to get the ohmage down to the required 4 ohm to produce the full gut wrenching 300 watts (!). Not to mention the hassle of lugging a second cab around.:D

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A 4 ohm 15" driver that works well with your cabinet may not be easy to find, nor will it be inexpensive.

You'll get better results and better flexibility by adding an 8 ohm cabinet. Look for something used and you should be able to easily spend less than a good new 4 ohm driver would cost. Personally I think adding an 8 ohm 210 cabinet would be a good move. Bring both cabs to larger gigs, leave the 210 at home for smaller ones.