Laney HCM 160B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone has played this new amp in the hardcore max series. I currently have the 60 watt version and will be looking to upgrade at the end of the year.
    Seeing im very happy with my amp at the moment except for the power aspect this seems like the obvious next step up.
    It is new and i havent seen one in a shop, just reviewed in a magazine and on the Laney website.

Anyways thanks
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

If there's any way i can save you from spending a lot of money on a crappy amp, then please listen to me!
    Laney's crap!!! I hate my laney amp and still kick myself for buying it. The tone absolutely sucks. the speakers are bad. it was a loud shop and the assistant told me that over time, when i'll play better, it wont be bad, it can keep up with drummers, etc... I was a noob then, and didnt do much TB, to get advice from - but you have done the right thing. Now be smart enough to learn from my mistake. Now I have this piece of sh!t and cant even sell it... :mad:
    Rather go and check out Gallien-Krueger. Worked nice for me. :cool:
    I now have ampeg gear, too, and that is also nice, but a different type of tone. :bassist:
    there are a lot of good basses recommended here, so take a look around
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Now hold on just a second! :eek:

I am a proud user of the Laney R5. Fantastic amp. Just try and tell me otherwise. I have, however, found the tone quite sterile, but I dont wat my amp to colour my sound. My sound comes from my fingers, my bass and my effects (Including an MXR M80). It does exactly what I want it to, make my bass louder and keeping the sound relativly the same. Loud as hell, quite small and light. Perfect.

I have tried the HCM series and didnt like the sound much, and an extra 100W wont make you much louder. Mabye look at other amps if you want to upgrade, I just had to defend a much underated company.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok maybe there are Laney products that dont suck as bad as the HCM series, which are an absolute waste of money and resources, but most of their products I've come over were quite low build/construction-quality and had even worse sound quality :spit:

Try out other amp brands and you will see (hear) the difference
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Do as he says, but also try the Richter series. ;)
  6. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I play only a Laney RBH 800 and love the sound. Playing it into ampeg cabs. I also had an old DP-150 laney head until it fried. It too was awesome.