Laney HCM160B Vs. Ashdown Electric Blue 12 - 180

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, May 12, 2005.

1. *Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi all,

In the process of upgrading my bass amp from a Laney HCM30B (Which i love very much imo)

I an torn between either a:

Laney HCM160B:

Good points:

-Used it's younger brother, the HCM30B and love the sound this amp makes
    -Cheaper than the Ashdown
    -7 band graphic EQ
    -Big speaker (15")

Bad points:

-20 watts less than the Ashdown
    -Reliability issue (Had to exchange my HCM30B once because the amp had a problem)

Ashdown Electric Blue 12 - 180

Good points:

-20 watts more than the Laney
    -Looks better than the Laney
    -Heard excellent stuff about this amp

Bad points:

-£25 more expensive
    -Smaller speaker ("12)
    -Does not have 7 band graphic EQ

So which one all for the Realibility? Worth of price? Tone?

Thanks all! :bassist:
  2. dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    I can't say anything about the Laney, I simply haven't tried them. However, I had an EB 12-180. I can't say enough about the sound of this amp for the cost. I was very pleased with it.

In reality, the 20 watt difference probably isn't gonna make that big a difference, though. A lot of that will depend on whether you are gonna run an ext. cab. I don't know if the Laney handles an ext. cab or not. The EB does, and in fact, in order to use the full 180w you have to have an ext. cab or your actually only running about 130w. I ran mine with a MAG 115 cab, and it does get loud.

If the Laney also handles an ext. cab and you're happy with the sound you're familiar with, there's no reason to let the 20w difference discourage you.

On the other hand, I'll warn you. I was so impressed with my EB that I decided to trade up to a MAG 300w 210 combo to get the extra head room. What I'm saying is, once you fall to temptation the first time, it might cost you. :smug: