Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney R3H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philbiker, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Anyone have a Laney R3H? Opinions? Experiences?

2. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nobody's even heard this amp?

3. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, for the sake of anyobody else searching for this amp in the future....

I tried the amp out briefly last night at my local shop Classic Axe. I'd much rather spend $400 at my local small local shop where I get great service than $240 online at a mega-warehouse. Personally I think the extra money invested in my local business where I can try the stuff out and put money into the economy is better spent than sending money off to some megacorporation. That goes for guitar center, too, I'm talking locally owned shops here.

Off my soap box.......

I brought my own bass and tried the amp through a GENZ-BENZ 210 cabinet, I figured that would approximate my Eden D210T.

The word that comes to mind is .... clinical .... No complaints, the little Laney did fine, and the volume was impressive as well. But it didn't "grab me" like my '67 Bassman does. Of course, nothing is going to sound comprable to that fantastic piece of rock history, I just need a work-a-day spill beer on it amp.

Not a bad amp, but it seemed a little trebly to me (I always start with everything flat). I think I'd be happy to own it and it puts out some pretty impressive SPLs, at least to my ears. This one stays on the list. Kind of ugly looking, but not too bad.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That looks like a pretty decent head. In that price range, I'd try to find a Genz-Benz ML-200 head to try out. I almost ordered one a while back, but decided I wanted more headroom, so I bought a G-K 700RB-II.

5. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I play a Laney RBH 800 which is a 300 watt version of that head. I have never had a problem and it gets my gigs done in fine fashion. I play it through Ampeg cabs a 2x10 and 1x15.

I haven't had much amp gas for a long time.

Any specific questions about it?

tk

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ive owned the R5 (same features, more power, combo) and own the R1.

I really liked the R5, but it just wasnt loud enough, and you're right, for my stage rig I wanted something more coloured too (Ashdown) but the R1 is a fantastic practice amp. It does a good enough Ashdown impression but can get transparent enough to work on technique etc.

Anything else you'd like to know?

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Oh, and I like the way they look, very subtle, very smart. Brushed metal and black, with NO CARPET!

R1

8. Jamie1994

Jamie1994

Feb 13, 2010
    I own a laney r3h, I am in a band if you are looking at it for gigging very good and reliable, very loud but requires some sitting there to find a good sound from it im in a indie/alternative band i know it dont sound right laney for indie band it was brought second hand for me i knew someone selling it so mum brought me it, i am actually currently savinf for an ashdown mag 400.
    Hope this helps if not e-mail me asking for more exact things about it.
    jamie

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Jamie, whilst that's a very nice post I get the feeling it may be a bit wasted in a 4 year-old thread!

10. I own a Laney RB115 cabinet powered by a G.k 400Rb head unit amp. Its Celestion loaded and only ways around 30-35 kg, though the ports suck as they are simply round holes cut in the side of the cabnet, to the same diameter with no tubes in them. Overall not bad though for $NZ 600 and Celestions great. Dose what it needs to do.