1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Laney rb9?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b_hunter28, Jan 18, 2012.

1. b_hunter28

b_hunter28

Jan 18, 2012
    Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade from my 50watt practice combo to a bigger rig. I've decided to go second hand to get a better deal.
    I've found a used Laney rb9 with a Laney rb410 cab for $450aus.
    Does this sound like a reasonable price? And does anyone have any experience with this amp? I can't seem to find much on it.
    If it helps I play a 4 string ltd f-104 in a metal band.
    Any help would b awesome!!:)

2. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    I used one for a couple of years and it was fine - basic (and made in China if that matters) but perfectly adequate for medium pub/club work. I had always used Laney from years ago when it was all built in the UK and always thought of it as roughly equivalent to Peavey. I traded it when I went rack-based although then went back to a TE head. Not sure what the exchange rate is at the moment but here in the UK they are around £230 brand new and you can pick up a clean used example for say, £150. If I was starting from scratch and had a limited budget I would be quite happy to have another RB9 - hope this helps.

3. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Just noticed you mentioned the 4x10. 20 years ago I bought a second hand (UK built) Laney 150W head and 4x10 rated at 240W IIRC. One of my favourite rigs! Cheap, reliable and good sounding. I did loads of gigs with that rig and never a problem then I sold it on for nearly as much as I paid originally! You may want to look for the older Laney stuff - built like a brick s%!* house and really cheap. A long time ago now but I think I paid something like £160 back then for the head and cab from some kid who had never taken them out of his bedroom and they really were like new. I'd say go for the RB9 if there's nothing else around but it might be worth looking at the older stuff too. Good luck!