Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney Richtar Bass Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shauny, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    hey there, im 16 and in a band. weve played a few gigs here and there but now ive finished school i wana get some serious gear so we can do some proper gigging. ive been thinking about getting a Laney Richtar R4H and a cab to go with it. right i have two questions about this.
    1. i dont really have a clue wot sort of different sounds u get from different cabs. how different would a single 15" speaker sound compared to a 4 x 10" cab and wot would people recomend for a rock/grunge/alternative (lots of distortion and effects) sound?
    2. does anyone else have any experience with this amp or can someone recomend a better setup for a similar price?

thanks for reading

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    First off, each speaker sounds different regardless of its diameter. However, generally as you get bigger you get better lows and you lose punch and tightness. Now, I'd recommend a Bergantino 610 or 215, an Aguilar 412, 810 or 410 and 115, or an Eden 610, 810, or 410 and 115 for rock/grunge. However, its hard to recommend anything without a price range...

3. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    im looking to go upto about £400... but im quite flexible(ish). just need advice, ill look into the amps u sugested now, thanks

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    With that kind of money you wont be able to get the brands listed really, especially in the UK.

The Laney amps I really liked, I owned an R5 for about a yeah, tried it with both extension cabs and realised I liked the 2 tens in the combo paired with the 115 cab.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is the Laney set up one you can try out? If you're looking for some more serious gear and you haven't got enough experience to have your own strong opinions on what will be best for you, getting a chance to try things out would be a good idea. At very least, if you try everything you can locally and don't like it, you can give us your reviews and people might be able to suggest things that make up the shortcomings you found.

Another idea is to check out what other local bassists are using. Presumably you've got some local venues in mind for your planned gigs so why not see a few bands at those places and get some ideas from what they're using?

Wulf

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Another thing would be to see if the venues you can imagine your band playing in have good PA systems. If you can count on a good PA, youll need an amp for practice, and thats realy it.