Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney Richter R5?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tenchu, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Looking for a fairly cheap but powerful combo I came across the Laney R5, which seemed like a lot of watts for the money. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on Laneys and on the R5 in particular. Thanks.

2. I've been using one of the laney combos for the last 2 years...
    i personally would go for an ashdown combo of similar size and power if i was gonna get another combo. That's really only because of the sound tho... i prefer the ashdown sound!

I think that the sound is alright... you can do better but it's up to your ears! Recorded i haven't liked my amp i never manage to get a sound i enjoy to translate to the board!

My main problem has been the fact i'm underpowered but i'm playing with a noisey 4 piece and one of the less powerful amps! I find in general tho that these distort preaty easily!

Because I've had to push the amp 2 hard i've blown power transistors (or something blew neways) which has been annoying to get fixed! Also the tilt feture is nice at practice but it makes the amp heavier bigger and more annoying to transport!

these things are DAMN heavy! For the target you're going for a seperate head and cab would be more flexible and less of a pain to transport! Maybe try out an ashdown MAG... i'm biased because i love the sound of my new ashdown! My laney served me well it just struggled it was never really designed to keep up with me tho and i never purchased it expecting too!

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i played a laney once... I don't know with what bass, it was before i starte playing.. but i know i LOVED it. I think it was a 1x15 200w combo of sorts.

4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Laney's are under-rated......

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    One happy Laney R5 user right here!

Any questions you got Ill be happy to answer!

Jack.

6. 1) What's your opinion on the extension cabinet option? Do you ever use it?

2) How loud is it?

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    1. Used to use the matching 4x10 in my band. I saw it as useful, but not necessary. I sold it because:

2. Its loud enough to keep up with a guitar (Marshall 150w 2x12 SS) and a loud, dumb, drummer.

8. Thanks for the information, Jack. That's going to be quite helpful. I'm still looking into the Ashdowns though. I have however seen that the MAG series is made in China, which bothers me quite a bit, especially if I could get an English, European or an American made one (even though the Laney subtlely says "designed and assembled in the U.K." :eyebrow: ). And the ABM series is a little expensive (for now anyway :) ).

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Youre very welcome. I tried the Ashdowns and felt the wernt loud enough for me, YMMV.

I picked the Laney because it was tough, loud, relatively small and it had a reasonable tone. On most of my gigs my sound goes from a DI (See sig) and doesnt even touch my amp. This isnt because the amp sounds bad, but because my preamp sounds better.