Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney VS Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by invrct, Dec 16, 2005.

1. invrct

invrct

Dec 16, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Hello guys! this is my first post. glad to be here ;)

I am thinking of buying one of the above cheap bass heads:

LANEY R4H - Richter 300 Watt

or

Gallien Krueger Backline 600 300 Watt

I play metal and use an Ibanez ergodyne bass and a rocktron blue thunder pre-amp.

I was unable to find a review of the laney so I thought I should post here.

which one of the above would be better? ANY kind of information will be highly appreciated. thanks in advance!

2. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    have you tried either of them out?

ANYTHING by laney i've used sounds HORRIBLE

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

Hello!

Welcome!

Get the GK. I love 'em. The only Laney I have heard was a combo at a church I visited once. It was o.k. but only o.k. I wasn't real impressed.

But then I haven't heard the head you are looking at.

Have you tried them out yourself? What did you think?

:D

Joe.

4. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Try them both, but I've never been impressed with Laney, GK would be the way I'd go.

5. invrct

invrct

Dec 16, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    no I have never heard a laney or a gallien krueger...
    I probably will buy one of those at ebay and I am not sure if i can try one of them out at some store before buying. actually i have read good reviews of laney heads but never heard one so I am not sure. I would like to know more about Gallien Krueger heads though!

6. Go to gallien.com and check out the specs on the heads. If you have the money go for the 400RB-IV or the Backline600 you were initially looking at. I am not familiar with the backline series but the Artist series of amps are all top notch powerhouses which can give you many different sounds. I believe the Backline600 has the distortion channel builtin so that may be of great use to you if you play metal.

Do a search of this forum for posts that have already been answered concerning GK amps. There is plenty of stuff on this forum to keep you reading for days.. :)

Search is your friend, use it.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    On the quest for my first amp I played a laney and its sounded like crap to me even back then when my ear wasn't as trained as it is now. Go with gallien krueger which I was a lot more impressed with and which I gave serious consideration when buying my current amp.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Despite owning an R1, Im not going to champion Laney here. :)

Just try 'em, and buy the one you like. NEVER buy untested and especially never unheard.

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I use a backline 600 for personal practice, so I haven't played it in any sort of "real" setting.
    For what I use it for is perfect, sounds good and the distortion channel is impressive. I have no complaints and it perfectly meets my needs.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've played through the backline amps, and the distortion channel sounds almost exactly like a Squier guitar practice amp's distortion channel. They also get hot very easily.

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Back in '95 or so, I owned a Laney 15" Combo (can't remember the model #, but I remember they made a 75watt combo and a 120watt combo that was virtually identical except for the wattage). It was ok, but not great. The biggest issue I had was that it sounded kind of "boxy"... no real clarity, definition or punch. I dealt with it for about a year or two, then traded it in.

- Ugly.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I just got a Backline 600 head this week. Expect a review soon. Meanwhile, the executive summary is that I am quite happy with it.

The Laney head is twice as big and twice as heavy. The BL600 has a moderate "scooped mid" voicing, but you can dial in a flat response curve. From either starting point, I imagine that you can get practically any tone that you could desire.

Best of luck and happy shopping!

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would be more apt to compar the GK 400 or 700 and the equivalent Ashdown Mag series ...

14. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    One interesting thing about the Ashdown heads is that Ashdown has a product testing report at their website, which contains pictures of the innards. I have no doubt that the Ashdown amps are robust, but from peering inside my GK BL600 with a flashlight, I definitely see more meat on the bones, and less air.

GK claims that the BL600 and 400RB have the same power electronics. They also weigh exactly the same. As I understand it, GK uses something analogous to Class-H power amp circuitry, which would allow their heads to be more compact for a given output power. Maybe Dan Elliott can confirm this, just so I am not misrepresenting GK by accident. Dan's generous presence on this forum, and his helpful responses to my many pesky questions, is a mark in favor of GK.

I must admit that while I have tested my BL600 fairly extensively, I will never be able to find out how it performs at full power on a gig, because I don't play that loud. Also, I will only be using it with an 8-Ohm speaker, so it will be operating at half of its rated thermal load.

15. The 400RB and Backline 600 are class A/B I believe. The 1001RB, 2001RB and 700RB are class G. I thought it was class H before, but I was mistaken. The two classes are very similar.

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks for clarifying!