Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney vs. TE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jul 15, 2001.

1. OK people, time for combo choices. I've discounted the Peavey Basic112(too expensie; paying for features I won't use), but have come to rest on two: The Laney HCM60, or the TE Boxer 65. 5W difference, same speakers. TE has 3 band EQ, headphones out, mid sweep. Laney has active/passive inputs, external speaker socket, line out, headphones out, compressor and a 3 band EQ with sweepable midrange. Basically, is the Laney of lower quality(more features..same price) or is it comparable to the TE?

Both British built to boot.

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've got the 50w version of the Laney amp, and it's terrible. Shoddy construction, laughable speaker, and a dreadful sound. It's loud, I'll give it that, but that's not much use when it distorts badly past the halfway mark. :rolleyes:

Both of the inputs have gone on my amp (after two years of use), making it hard to get a signal out of the damn thing at all. The compressor is useless as well.

Get the TE. (No, I don't work for TE or anything, but I just really can't stand my amp.)

3. you can chuck it down the stairs and it'll bouce right back( no kids, don' even think about trying it)

at this size it's a quality amp, like the stuff i said in my TE post

they are, for us UK guys some of the more available manufacturers

your not going to be using it for gigs, and what it does have, for the price is very good

get it, where you going to get form ?>

4. Go for the Trace, they're well built, durable, and sound good. I had one of the small Laney's a few years back and didn't like the tone at all. Like someone else said...the ONLY thing it had going for it was that it was loud. The tone was awful though.

5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I have a Laney Linebacker 30W and although I've had nothing fall off of it or anyting break it really is crappy. It distorts at low gain and volume, if it does go loud it makes a crap noise as the tone is awful and it's bloody heavy for a small black box with a single 10". IN short don't buy one, and pantera, you know what I'm getting anyway(I hope...).