Language is the beginning of misunderstanding...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    ...especially on the internet. I just recently got into a scrap with somebody on ebay, all because I questioned him when he wouldn't allow me to come pick up the item - he lives less than 3 miles from me. I said that was a little odd, but I agreed. He then went on to call me presumptuous, self-absorbed, and left negative feedback on my ebay profile that was more than a bit malicious. Anger rising! :mad: (I only left him neutral feedback, by the way. I'm not stooping to name calling.)

This has led me to think about the whole culture of the internet, and how it affecting our society at large. The internet is a great tool, and has connected us to more people than ever before, and yet in "real life" people are feeling more and more isolated. Misunderstanding and misinformation is rampant. People are able to say what they want, insult who they want, and say things they would never say to your face, all hiding behind a wall of annonyminity (is that spelled right?). Perhaps the internet is allowing people to act how they truly are, or is it more like a Lord of the Flies thing - with no supervision, people just go nuts.

I'm beginning to think that this newly evolving internet culture is becoming a detriment to society in some ways. I think people are starting to forget how to talk to each other.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, or maybe I'm still just mad about this ebay thing. Kind of ironic that I'm ranting about this on a public forum, come to think of it. Anyway, I'm curious as to what others think about this. Comments?
  2. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I can't really say how it's affecting normal face-to-face conversation, but I do think it is a lord of the flies thing.

You have to take the good with the bad, I guess. I think it's really apparent to those who use message boards though, though tb is usually pretty civilized... I wouldn't be able to handle something like the Linkin Park forum, looking at the incubus forum makes me want to stab sharp objects in my eyes.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is borderline-political but I'll leave this open if you behave nicely.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait, wait, wait... you're suggesting there's a "real life?" I've heard of such a thing, but I want empirical evidence of such a thing.

Personally, I think you're running this whole "real life" thing on conjecture and hearsay.

Shame on you.
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Is this "real life" you speak of an aplication that I can run with windows?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yes, but only in a DOS box. :p

7. Wait, im confused...i thought 'Real Life' was a cheesy rock band from the 80's?

8. its not political. its social. get your definitions right punk!(classic example of internet talk)j/k. if anything i think the internet has let us express ourselves better. more expression, less repression.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And even MORE kids who can't spell, have no grammar, and have never heard of sentence structure. I'm all for a bit of repression if these jokers would learn how to communicate properly.
  10. No s***.
  11. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Quite frankly, I've never felt entirely comfortable speaking with people "In Real Life". All too often, things I say get misconstrued, and I end up on the hostile end of an argument. On the internet, at least there is a concrete record of what has been said regarding a particular topic, enabling clarification, proof, and justification that is not always as available IRL.

Besides which, in the online world, there are forums and groups and chat rooms, etc., that focus on the types of things that I enjoy and find relevant to my life, whereas IRL, theres often nothing but a constant flood of banality. That's not to say I'm superior to anyone in any way, just that I am extremely selective in the ways I choose to express myself, the things I enjoy, and the company I choose to keep.

It's a lot easier to pick and choose via the internet, which a global network, than it is to pick and choose within the limited confines of the city in which I live. Regarding your initial point, basstriaxis, I find the internet to be a combination of the "freedom of expression" and the "Lord of Flies/no boundaries/do what you can get away with" situation. In the end, it all comes down to the individual, which is infinitely dangerous. And as far as errors in communication go, humanity has always had that problem and in all likelihood, always will.
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There is always the fear and loathing in SF factor.

You (we) as bass players, tend to have the 'we love each other'
    and 'I'm in the groove' and 'it's cool, don't worry' mentality.

Then [ from that guys perspective ], some guy you don't know
    wants to come to the your house/crib/dungeon/cardboardbox
    and invade your privacy.

I am sure there is a reason he doesn't want to see you.
    Illegal alien. Wheelchair technodroid. 21st Century Schizoid
    man, etc.

Some people cannot meet other people, are paranoid, think
    you are a serial criminal, are rascist, whatever.

Get your stuff and leave the appropriate feedback. No name
    calling, but the facts are the facts ... just stick with the truth

And check the oil in the car before you head to the gig.
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've learned not to get offended by what people say on the internet. (though in your case, I would have been offended; especially over the negative feedback) I think people are more open to expressing ideas on the net, whether they be positive or negative. I'm going to be majoring in psych next fall, and to be honest with you, I'm quite scared. I'm already rather cynical about human nature.
  14. The internet is kind of like a big trash bag for everyone. We can all hide inside our own bag and talk to one another without ever knowing what the other person looks like, how they're really reacting to what we're saying, and what they might be thinking.
    I feel that because of this, people tend to reveal their true selves more because there is much less likelihood for really being hurt by something or someone.
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002 hide in a bag in your free time?
  16. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Which brings up a question:

If — according to what I've been led to believe by experiences — people are trash and there's no hope for the human race, and you're saying that people on the net can be more their true selves because of the lack of face to face contact — but people on the net generally act like and treat each other like trash, doesn't that mean that people are basically worthless?

I'm becoming more and more convinced by the things that I hear and read and see that maybe it's time that the slate is wiped clean worldwide so that the human race can start again in a few million years after all the radiation has died down and evolution's brought us back to this point.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Teen Angst!

(Note that Eyescream is not teen. Point still stands.)
  18. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN

I tend to think of your posts regarding florida as ammo for my "kill everything and start over" arguments. :)
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Everyone get out their aluminum foil helmets, the world as we know it is ending. :D