Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laptop and bass amp thru headphones...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I play my music through my laptop (using "Transcribe") with headphones...and I play my bass through a Peavey Microbass, which has a headphone out jack.

I've tried to use a splitter and plug my headphones into both my laptop headphone jack and the headphone jack on the bass amp.

I can hear my bass and my laptop through the headphones at the same time, but there is alot of noise.

What would be the least expensive way to hear both sources through my headphones at the same time? I don't need anything more than that.

I found a Rolls MX41 (4 input, 4 volume controls and one output) passive mixer for $21. Would that eliminate the noise and offer more control over the sources in the headphones?

Both my laptop and bass amp have headphone outputs going into the mixer so I do not need a powered mixer. Just a way to get both sources into my headphones at the same time.

Any thoughts?

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I cant really answer your question, but as a laptop owner IMO laptops usually have crummy audio components. I use mine as an MP3 Jukebox and frequently have to battle noise.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Actually my laptop has a great chipset...audio included. I use high quality headphones and the sound is awesome (through the headphones, not the crappy laptop speakers). Plus the Transcribe software allows me to EQ it for a perfect mix.

But I'm trying to get both my laptop headphone output AND my bass amp headphone output to connect to my headphones...at the same time.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Try something like the lowest end Behringer mixer-one of those $40 ones. You should be able to do what you need from there.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I use a Cafe Walter HA-1 headphone amp for exactly the application you are talking about and the sound is awesome.

Cafe Walter HA-1

THey are an absolutely essential bass toy (and look cool as well!) :)

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I used to plug my bass directly into the microphone input on my soundcard and play along with recordings that way. The quality was not great but it avoided noise.

Now I use some form of headphone amp (Dunlop Bass Ace, Raven Labs PHA-1 or Behringer V-amp) to get a better bass sound mixed with the recording. With those type of devices you wouldn't need the Microbass in the setup.

7. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Second that. I just upgraded from a cheap Nandy mixer to a $60 Behringer...but you could go with the cheaper one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...2118099/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/631239/

The sound is better through my new Behringer than through the old Nandy...but think about this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...2118099/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/631237/

This is the one I got, 'cause even though there are more lines/tracks/inputs than I need, there are two, TWO, where you have full control of the input volume and the treb-mid-bass...something to think about...

Tim.

8. I couldn't agree more!

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I've already got my Microbass amp mounted inside an old kitchen microwave cart...and my laptop on top of it. It's got storage for my notes, headphones, etc.

My Microbass gives me awesome tone, through the speaker or through headphones.

I also get great sound through my laptop...I just need to find a way to get both going through my headphones at the same time.

Right now I have my bass coming through the amp speaker and I keep the headphones slightly off my ears so I can hear both, but ideally I want both coming through the phones.

I've been looking at small inexpensive mixers. I found one for $35 that has two inputs and 1 output, plus a headphone out...with two volume controls for the inputs. I really don't need tone control for either my bass or my laptop as they already have it. I just need the connection.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    A headphone amp with a line out should allow you to hear yourself...pre-computer eq.

I think that's the way I'd go. It's pretty much sure-fire to work and pretty inexpensive. It's also more like you'd hear yourself through studio cans if you were recording.

11. If you have an effects loop on your amp, you could plug your computer's output into the Effects Return and then plug your headphones in and listen to both at the same time...