Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

laptop as live instrument

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 16, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if i wanted to use my laptop (celery 400, 284 meg ram, 6 gig HD) as a sound module - that is to say, plug a keyboards midi out into it, and use some kind of soft synth to make sounds that would be outputted into an amplifier - what is the best software to use?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    but...but...i thought...computers...softsynths....

...it fits....it does....i'm not a misposter....really.....

:( :( :(

3. I highly recommend propellerhead's Reason. Great software package with tons of tweakable soft synths and a sequencer. It also has sampler with string, brass, woodwinds and other sounds. You can find a demo at:

http://www.propellerheads.se/

Pair that up with any of the many USB midi controllers out there and you've got a set-up that you can easily use live. This is what I will be using (haven't tried it live yet, but doesn't seem to give me any problems during practice).

PM me if you've got any questions.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    That depends -- there are dozens of great soft synths out there. What kind of sounds are you looking for?

Propellerheads' Reason is very cool, lots of features and it covers a lot of bases ("virtual analog", sampling, etc) though it is rather oriented to dance music.

Native Instruments makes a lot of stuff -- their imitations of classic synths like the Sequential Circuits Prophet series are great. A friend of mine uses their Absynth and Kontakt programs, and raves about them.

Finally, if all you want is sampling, Gigasampler is a good choice.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Actually I've considered the same thing (and my laptop is almost the same spec! Celery 400, 6GB... You've got more RAM though). Only I was considering writing the synth software myself ;) I also need to find a MIDI cable that I can plug into my computer. MIDI to 9-pin D connector, would be nice...

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yeah i got a demo of reason, seems pretty nice but quite, uhm...involved :rolleyes: it's definitely something i could learn once i actually get a keyboard hooked up to make some noise with, but maybe something less involved would be better (less overhead)

i'd like something with good rhodes sounds and good synth sounds, decent effects, with a drum machine sequencer a distant fourth in my list of needs

i also suppose that a program like reason or absynth would work better for live performances than a recording program like acid or nuendo with vsti support, correct?

7. Yeah, at first Reason does appear to be very involved. It's got so many features that it can seem overwhelming at first. But once you start using it, it begins to make a lot more sense. If you know how to do a few things, the interface becomes so much more intuitive.

I think it's application tends to be more oriented towards dance music, but I don't really use it for dance music myself.

Oddentity had some other great suggestions. Have not tried them myself, but have heard good things about them.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Yeah - that would be overkill on your processor (esp. Nuendo).