1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Laptop assistance needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DWBass, Dec 6, 2011.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Please see pics below. The open area I have shown seems to get pretty hot. What is that area and why does it get so hot? My laptop tends to overheat and shut down. I thought it was the battery but the battery is cool to the touch and as I was feeling around, noticed this area was pretty hot. The fan seems to be functioning properly. Is that a part of the power supply? It is directly behind the power connctor.

laptop003.
    laptop001.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Heatsink for either the CPU or GPU.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1. That area should be blistering hot.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Then I'm guessing it's the CPU itself overheating and causing shutdowns?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Could be. There should be a fan somewhere accessible in there - check to make sure that it's on, and not full of dust etc.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fan is operating and is clear of dust. Just blew it out again just for safe measure. I also noticed the very bottom of the display get's pretty warm as well.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Make sure air can get under the computer easily. You might want to get one of those laptop cooler gadgets that you set your computer on, and it allows more airflow underneath and probably even has a fan to improve convection.