Laptop help -or- touchpad alternatives

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 11, 2006.

1. hello crew,
    so i will be coming into some money soon and i found that as a college student, I really should get a laptop, because every cool college student has a laptop and who am i to ignore peer pressure?

anyways, i do actually have a laptop, and as a few people here on TB already know, its slow and prone to overheating...ok, so i fixed that, but it still shuts down every once in a while...
    anyways, a pet peeve of mine is the touchpad. whenever i type, i always accidently press down on the tochpad, which also acts in the same manner as a click (people with laptops know what i am talking about). So when i am typing, i will find out that i just typed that last paragraph inside of the paragraph before that.
    also, i just don't like it.
    anyways, i remember my grandma had a laptop once that had a little stick in between the G and H keys that could move the mouse. Does anybody remember what I am talking about? I am looking all around for that type of controller, but it seems that the touchpad has taken over!
    Does anybody know of any laptops that still have those little pieces or any kind of alternative to the touchpad? right now i have a usb trackball that i plug into my laptop, and that works just fine, but in my next one, i don't really want to carry any extra gear if i don't have to!

Thanks for the help!

2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    IBM/Lenovo laptops have both touchpads and that little red button. We use these at my company and I have found them to be reliable, well built computers.
  3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You should be able to disable the "Tap to Click" feature in the Mouse settings. That's what I did. So basically the touchpad works as a touchpad, but no matter how hard you hit it it doesn't click. REALLY pisses people off who have gotten used to the tap-to-click feature, but mine (Dell Latitude D600) was just WAY to sensitive. I did have to update the driver to the latest version, but that's not unusual for corporate PCs, they install everything at bare minimum for 3 years ago!!!
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    My Dell Inspiron has the "little stick in between the G and H keys that could move the mouse".
  5. sorry, i don't really know what that is called...granted i know that the mouse isn't the pointer, but thats the best i could think of...I should have said "little stick in between the G and H keys that could act as the mouse" anyways, what model do you have? my girlfriend just picked up the 9300, and that has the touchpad...

Don...thanks for the link...I was considering those...

LajoieT...I know what you are talking about...I might have to go that way, but i really don't like using the touchpad at all, but if i have to, i have to

Thanks for all the help guys! If anyone wants to chime in, please keep on posting!

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

It's been a long time since I looked at them, but I think Toshibas had those sticks. I actually liked the touchpad more, but hated the tap/click function. You could just turn it off (as mentioned before)...there'll be a properties menu somewhere in there where you can do it.
  7. I have a little button on top of my touchpad (its a Compaq Presario) which can turn the touchpad off completely at the touch of a button. Also, it's 3yrs old, and its still working fast (I have admittedly put a 40Gb Hard drive in place of the old 20 and added more RAM though, 256Mb more I think).
  8. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I like my touchpad with my "tap to click" function. :)

When I got my laptop, I was planning to buy a mouse, but I've gotten used to the touchpad so much that I find it to be as good as an ordinary mouse.

And the tap to click function is good too, because the button makes a hideously loud sound when I click it. :meh:
  9. Thinkpad, baby!!!! The only laptops I've ever owned. Some models have ONLY the eraser head "track stick". That's my preference.
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    most laptops you can disable that feature. if not...

buy a USB connected mouse?
  11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    All touchpads are not created equal also. I had a Dell Inspiron 7000 (P2-233MHz, so you know how old, and heavy it was) and the touchpad on that was MUCH more fluid and accurate than my new Dell Inspiron 600 (P4-1.4GHz). I still prefer the touchpad over the eraserhead (the 600 has both) but it took a LOT of getting used to. In desktop settings I use a variety of trackballs and mice, so I'm pretty adaptable to most of them, but the trackballs they tried putting in laptops were a nightmare (which is why you rarely see them anymore) and I just can't get the hang of the eraserhead. I was, however shocked at how inferior my new touchpad was to the old one.
  12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You can get a small, wireless Infrared Mouse to plug into your USB.

It might even disable your touchpad, while it is plugged in, or you can do that automatically.
  13. thanks, but right now i am using a logitech trackball for my laptop, and I like (i think) i said in one of my previous posts, I don't really want to bring any extra gear along with the laptop...i'd prefer something built in, so i put up this thread to see if anyone knew of far, Lenovo is the only one i've seen so far that has the trackstick. D'oh!
  14. There was a new bluetooth mouse that was a big hit at the Las Vegas show recently. I can't remember the name, but a google search would probably turn it up.
  15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ