Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laptop help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by page, Dec 25, 2005.

1. I just got a Laptop for Christmas, I have a few questions.

Well only one actually so far but , here it is:

Is there a way to connect to the internet without plugging into a phone line or outside modem?

And is there a way to extend memory?

Thanks , Im a noob to setting up computers and such on my own. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Laptops usually have a small door in the bottom held by a screw or two you can access the RAM slots - if you have a new one, it probably has one slot free.

Laptops use smaller RAM units than tabletop machines, and usually they are slightly different one brand to another, so be sure to get right for your machine.

Also, you probably have a WLAN unit in the machine, it being new. If you don't, you should be able to buy it for 40 bucks or so. WLAN is a wireless network, you need a WLAN-basestation (wireless router) that connects to your internet modem with a standard network cable. There are some cheap ones around, but for a decent like Buffalo would be around 80 bucks.

With WLAN, it's also possible that your neighbour has WLAN basestation, and you can "leech" the signal - you can see the avalable networks when you open the WLAN connections. Usually they are password protected, though, but if one is available, you can negotiate to share that :)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes, and yes. By the way buddy, I counted two questions. :D :D

-Mike

4. Yeah well I forgot how to count..... :D

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Put down the egg nog... :)

Is your laptop WiFi capable? Look through the doumentation, or the box it came in. If it has an internal NIC, it will say so. With an internal NIC, you can connect wirelessly to the internet if you are near an access point or router doing wireless.

Tell us some more about the laptop, and we'll be able to line you up with some options.

-Mike