Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laptop on top of your Amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NJL, Oct 12, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Is this bad? There are some gigs to where my laptop is needed cause I have charts in the drive (don't have a printer at home), I would like to just put the comp on top of my rack with my GK 1001 in it...

Whatcha' think?

2. As long as it doesn't excessively vibrate, should be ok. I'd be more worried about it shaking off the rack.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

I think that's enough to keep me from putting on top! :D Never thought of that! Duh!

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In a perfect world, laptops would be rugged and able to withstand knocks and vibrations. In reality, many fall apart when dropped and often die an early death because of transit related wear and tear.

For this reason I think it's safe to say that the vibrations from the bass cab are more than likely going to shake the poor thing into a premature breakdown or worse. If there's nowhere else to put it, maybe put a piece of foam in between the amp and the laptop.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    My rig could vibrate the balls off a brass monkey. I wouldn't be quick to put a laptop up there.

Moike

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yeah, definitely put it somewhere else. Music stands are good for this.

And whatever you do, DON'T put on the speaker cab. Hard drive + magnet = bad things.

7. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Borrow a printer, make a notebook. Clubs are no place for laptops.

8. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Or you could buy one of those new Digital Sheet Music readers.

But they're around $1000 I believe.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ...roughly the price of 10 printers :)

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    ...or 1000 beers on $1 beer nights.

11. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Maybe you should spring for the good stuff.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I usually do. But on dollar beer nights, you gotta slum. I mean, come on... $1.

13. The vibration scares me enough, that could cause head crash. Strong magnets of the speakers could possibly partially erase the hard drive. Even the strong magnetic field from power supply on the power amp could at least partially erase the hard drive if it got too close.

Randy

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Bingo. This is what I was worried about the most.

Only trumpet players....

15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You could put the lap-top on top of your rack but not put the rack on top of the cab/s.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    put a couple of mouse pads under the laptop. It'll help with isolating the vibration and keep it from sliding off.