1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Laptop repair question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Hello, I have a question about a broken screne on my laptop, basically I would like to know if buying a new screen will work, or whether it is something else.

The laptop was knocked off a coffee table while open and landed on the screen, ever since the bottom third has been broken, and it constantly like in the picture below, there is no visible cracks or anything when the screen is off, and the screen still feels smooth, you can only really notice it when the screen is on, although if you glance the light off of it when its off you can see the black leaf-shaped splodge you can see on the picture.

2mhiidv.

It's a dell inspiron 1300 btw, will buying a new screen work or is it something else?

Thanks in advance,
    Bass Junkie :)

2. just buy a new computer.

Those things are old now :p The new Dell Studios are awesome, and their prices will only go down!

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, the problem most likely stops that the screen...I'd doubt it was a graphics card error, given the nature of the hit...

But the repair can get costly if you don't have a donor....I would google "used computer parts" or laptop screens or whatever, and see if you find anything...the actual reair is pretty easy, as long as it just plugs in and out.

H

4. No can do mate, I don't have enough. Laptops are about £80 so it would be a lot cheaper, student funds don't stretch far enough for a brand new laptop/computer, we got the laptop for free with a hope to spend a little money on it.

I know it's old but i've used them before and it was fine for what I want.

5. I was thinking of buying new but it might be worth checking if there is a spares/repairs laptop going cheap somewhere, thanks for the tip!

I've taken the screen bezel off and looked at how the screen fits in and it just plugs in and a few screws, looks reasy!

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    at the very least plug another monitor into the laptop monitor out to check and be sure it's only the screen.

Best of luck. I would imagine you could get a used replacement (certified) for relatively little money (say 100 bucks tops)

H

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1

Diagnosis first. Worry about technique later.

But assuming it's the screen... eBay for parts, or sometimes other sites have these as well.

8. I plugged in another monitor and made it dual-screen (was a bit strange having the desktop on the laptop and firefox on the computer monitor) and it worked fine, it is just the screen on the laptop.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    $125USD shipped to UK from LCDScreen.com.

-Mike

10. Ebay is always worth checking. Amazing number of parts there at bottom prices. That screen can be replaced.

11. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Open the screen and make sure both sides of all cables are in. Not sure what type of cables laptop screens use, but if half the cable is out maybe only half the image is being sent?

12. Agreed.

13. +1 and even if you cant find the screen itself, people often sell fully functional laptops for dirt cheap as well.