Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

laptops

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chace90, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Dell

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. HP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gateway

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Sony

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. Toshiba

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  6. Other (please specify)

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ok, i'm getting a new laptop for college and i need to see what people seem to prefer! Any input would be very greatly appreciated.

2. Ditto, for me, the price range is about $1200, new *parents wont buy it used*

Need lots of memory, weight not an issue

3. voted Dell : best price/quality you can get IMHO

peace
    Bassmanjr

4. Fujitsu

and i didn't just vote for them coz i work for Fujitsu.. they're very good notebooks.

b.t.w... the last 'laptop' was a 80286 by toshiba ;)
    what you mean is notebooks, not laptops ;)

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ve been around a couple of laptops, HP, IBM, Fujitsu and some more. And I recommend IBM. I´m using one right now and I´m very happy with it.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Sony VAIO. Had no problems with it since I got it a few months ago. It's just so cool looking and its fast as a mofo.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno...I usually go to a local place and have them build me a frankenputer. If you find the right place, they should have just as good service as the major companies, and usually hella cheaper. Mine's a beast made by a local computer whiz kid. Never had any problems that haven't occured naturally (problems due to power spikes, and that's the only one so far!).

I know he built notebooks too, the smokin' kind that blow away a lot of desktop models, so I think there should be something like that in your are...hopefully...

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you need it to be a PC, and you can swing the dough. Then I'd get an IBM. I've worked on just about every kind of laptop around, and I think the IBMs are by far the best. Little pricey though.

Otherwise....

An APPLE will kill any of the above listed.

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    The only reason there are so many returns for the Sony VAIOs is that there are so many sales. The percentage and ratio of returns to sales to and from Sony to other notebook-computer making companies are equal or better than.

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Fair enough. I believe that your and his sources are probably more so accurate than my blatant response, but I don't know numbers, only the descriptive statistics element.

I'd also like to put in a plus for the IBMs. Previous to my VAIO, I had an IBM Notebook, don't remember model number number, but it was 233Mhz and 32MB ram. 2 years old now. It was stolen, so I bought a new VAIO with the insurance money, and ended up with an equal, or maybe even better computer than the IBM.

Props to both of them, nevertheless.

11. The company I used to work for spent $7,000 CDN per laptop. Why did it cost so much, I asked? Because they bought the extended warranty, the manager said.

Man, we used that warranty a lot. What? A couple of the laptops broke down within a week and didn't get fixed for several more. Plus, the performance was pretty crappy too.

Are all IBM laptops that bad or was this one incredibly bad batch of laptops?

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    My mom has a Gateway and so far it has been great. It's one of the top of the line Gateway's with 256 MB Ram, (I think) 1.2gHz, and 20 gigs of space. There have been absolutely ZERO problems with it.

13. Amen, Chris!

Apple is absoutely cool, but when it comes to PC notebooks... I could not, in good conscience, reccomend anything but an IBM to anybody. Yes, you WILL pay more up front... but you will get a solid, classy machine with pleasant tactile responses and lovely screens, not to mention excellent electronics.

--jeff

14. Another vote for Vaio. No problems, ever.

Jeff

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I would like to add something to the IBM discussion.

I worked as a repair man for a company which is the official Hewlett Packard distributer/wholesale/repair/etc. in Iceland, and you could say I´ve been around a few of the HP laptops. I´m also familiar with many other laptops. The biggest pro for the IBM laptops is that ANY part you buy extra for the laptop, let´s say a DVD drive, cdrw, docking bay just about anything is interchangeble within the IBM laptop series. I don´t know if I got my point through, but basically what it does is that you can buy any of these extras and use it in all kinds of IBM laptops. This is for example not the case with HP. There you have to specify for which kind of HP laptop you are buying the accessory for, non interchangeble.

Also I´m using a IBM Thinkpad T23 which my work has provided for me, and it rocks! I find it much better to use this laptop then any other I´ve tried.

Thumbs up for IBM!

16. Icez, you make some more great points.

My mom's friend was once trying to add a hard drive to the second accessory bay of his Toshiba Tecra notebook (I forget what exact model number...) and so we bought the hard drive... got the hard drive accessory bay adaptor... turns out we needed an adaptor between the hard drive and the actual thing that went into the accessory bay in the notebook! That had to come in from Toronto and took a week and a half. Grr.

With an IBM, you'd get the accessory bay adaptor and the hard drive and you'd be in business. I regularly have used two hard drives in my old ThinkPad 760ED, and my mom's ThinkPad 600X.

Another horror story I've had is with a client's Dell Inspiron 8000... it's a damn good thing Dell offers such a great warranty, we went for the full coverage warranty where they will come to your house and fix it if anything goes horribly wrong. When the unit was 2 months old, the keyboard started leaving these horrific marks on the screen. They came out and replaced the keyboard and the screen, claiming it was a new design and it would no longer do that. At 4 months, the modem inexplicably stopped working. They came out and changed the modem. At 6 months, the screen and keyboard were replaced again for the same problem.

My mom's friend who now has the Toshiba now previously had an older Inspiron (PII 300 era) that was sent back to Dell 3 times for dead pixels in the screen, and once the dvd-rom had to be replaced.

Only bad thing I have to say about IBM is the keyboard on the old 760ED is horrible, and I'm a huge fan of IBM's keyboards (desktop and laptop, I'm using an old IBM Type M clickey keyboard to type now, and the keyboard on my mom's 600X is sublime) but that 760ED... nasty. It's been replaced three times but each time it was not a big ordeal.

--jeff

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it's Dell, it's swell.

18. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    you are all....WRONG

let me point you in the direction of ALIENWARE's new machine. the Area51-m(mobile)
    www.alienware.com
    alienware tests their machines for 72 hours to make sure there is nothing wrong. plus they have top of the line EVERYTHING, and great customer service.
    i just got mine for college
    specs are:

High-Performance Laptop Chassis
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.2GHz 400MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache
    Hi-Performance Heatsink/CPU Cooling Fan
    Intel® 845MP+ICH3M Chipset - FC-PGA 478PIN DDR
    512MB DDR PC-2100 - ONE SO-DIMM
    40GB IBM Travelstar 4200 RPM ATA100
    ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 64MB DDR
    Sound-Blaster Compatible 3D Audio
    3.5 3-Mode Floppy Disk Drive
    8X DVD / 8x4x24 CD-RW w/Software MPEG2
    Integrated 10/100Mb Ethernet NIC
    56K Modem with V.92 Technology
    and i got like a backpack for it, a mouse, and it came with Windows Professional XP, and 1 year warantee (i can fix my own stuff)

all for 2632
    now i would like dell, sony, or anyone to do THAT.

19. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a lot of company reps coming to visit me from all over the world, and over the years, the concesus is - IBM is the best. Yes, there are those who are happy with their Dell/Compaq/HP/Fujitsu etc, but I never heard an IBM user complain, and IBM seems to have the least number of broken/faulty systems.

20. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    One of the new Apple laptops could still beat that alienware machine and be cheaper. However if you had a 2.2ghz AMD in there then it would be close.