Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laquer Cracks On A Month Old Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stingray96191, Dec 30, 2001.

1. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    And i don't even think the finish is Laquer.
    I have had my Modulus Flea Bass, in the Beautiful silver sparkle finish for 3 weeks now, and i love it.

It actually came 2 months ago, with cracks in the finish right out of the box(it was a custom order) so it went back and just returned 3 weeks ago. I baby this thing like it was human, in the case whn im not playing it and when i am i take excelent care of it. IT HAS NEVER HIT ANYTHING HARDER THAN MY FINGERS. Well i looked yesterday and in almost the same place where the original damage was ther are more cracks of the same kind. It is a small spot, and really just a minor inconvienience for the time being, but you can feel the crack to and i wonder if this will be detrimental to the finish. I am also wondering what is causing this, and if i willl get more of them. The local modulus dealer said that they have never seen a problem like this and that ususally their finishes are indestuctable.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Erin

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I say send it back to modulus to fix, and if they can't and can't do a refinish, then have them replace the instrument. No sense paying that much and then not getting what you pay for.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's where they put the Bondo to smooth out a divot in the wood.

4. So you say u took it back because of scratches and when u got it back you notice cracks in the same spot?? How can u be sure they actually fixed it in the first place. Your dealer said that the finish is indestructable so he probablt saw it and thought "eh just being pickie, i'll just polish it up a bit"

:D:D

Merls

5. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    thanks for your thoughts, if i forgot to mention these things they might help you out.

It already went back to modulus once, it never went back to the dealer.

The dealer was bass central. The dealer i tooki to her is not where i bought it, but they are a modulus dealer

And he said that in his experiances modulus finishes are indestuctable, as in very very durable

The damage is not in exactly the same spot, its just in the same general area.

And i can tell that the original damage was fixed, it was not a perfect fix, but i could no longer feel the crack, i can feel the crack in the new damage.

So what is this bondo, i didn't think they used that on wood.

I did e mail modulus, right after i posted this, and i am gonna ask them to make me a new body. I think they spray my finish in january, or atleast im hoping.

Any oyhter ideas?

Thanks

6. "Bondo" as in saying Band-Aid instead of adhesive strip.

Bondo is a trademark but I believe it was used in the sense of something that fills a dent or ding.
    May have been wood putty.

Both Bondo and wood putty will crack over time.

7. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    is overtime like 2 months?

8. Not sure about solid body guitars but the finish on hollow body guitars will crack if they are exposed to an extreme temperature change. If you take it out of a cold car into a warm building and open the case too soon you run the risk of damage to the finish. Not saying you did that, but it could have been shipped in the cold and exposed to heat too soon at the music store.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If Modulus is using a polyester finish like most companies do nowdays, temperature extremes will not hurt the finish, unless your are talking 100 degrees - 600 degrees Kelvin.

10. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    even so the bass has been kept at a pretty constant 70 degrees farenheight
    I hsven't had a chance to gig it yey either, i just tstarted a new band and we aren't tight enough yet.