Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

laquered Warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sahbiot, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    im planning on getting a laquered warwick from another state so i can't really see what its really like, or feel what its like. does anyone who have a laquered warwick thumb bolt-on if so how does it feel? any difference in the sound? is it laquered behind the neck? does it make you feel better that you don't have to wax it every so "often"... :D

2. I've only tried one Warwick with a solid colour laquer, and that was a custom NT Streamer Stage II. The laquer only covered the body, the neck was finished with the usual bees wax, but I'm not sure if that goes for standard laquered NT:s. But, to answer your question, I don't think that the necks on the bolt on models are finished with anything but wax, at least I see no reason for them to be painted.
    When it comes to sound, I've read in an old Warwick catalogue that their laquered basses have a somewhat harder sound than the waxed ones. I'm not sure that you would actually hear a difference in a side by side comparison though.
    And, BTW, I haven't waxed my Streamer in years, even though I should. Gives me a bit of a guilty conscience...

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have a Thumb Thru-neck which is a solid laquered colour..... the laquer on mine stops just where the neck joins the body..... see the pic

[​IMG]

Its hard to tell if makes any difference to the sound as mine has different pups in, so it doesnt sound like most warwicks anyway.

Chris

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ahh, minty fresh! :D I kinda like that!