1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Large (but Dwindling) Collection - 22 Basses available, sold individually or as a single lot

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by xnewyorka, Jun 22, 2019.

1. elkkid2

elkkid2

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    What 5 strings do you have left for sale? Amazing collection!

2. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    Thank you very much! It was a lot of work to acquire this collection. And then 1,000 times MORE work to set up every instrument, photograph it, list it, sell it, and ship it. I probably should have heeded the advice of the many wise people who cautioned me strongly against attempting to do it all myself. But after now 53 basses sold, I have started to get pretty good at it!
    I have just updated the list to show what is currently available. PM me to let me know which ones you'd like to own!

3. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Way to go! Everybody has raves about what a great TB seller you are.

TolerancEJ, elkkid2 and xnewyorka like this.
  4. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Thank you for that. I am very careful in what I buy, and then I take care of things with the utmost of care, spend a lot of time setting up the action and intonation to be perfect, and then endeavor to make every sale the most positive buying experience that the purchaser has ever experienced.
    Although it is a ton of work, I take great pride and pleasure in doing it, and I guess it shows.

At the same time, I have sacrificed a lot of time with my family in order to do this. I gave up my entire summer and virtually didn't get to spend any time with my kids other than occasionally brushing their teeth and putting them to bed, because I was busy negotiating a contract with a bulk buyer who ended up backing out of the deal after signing a contract to buy 31 basses, and then busy with all of the selling activities to sell those basses and the others. My wife has been happy to see some good progress, but there is still a long way to go to clear out the space. I would like to at least get it down to the point where everything can fit on that one shelving unit (about 32 cases) so that the rest of the space can be freed up for the kids to use.

So in support of that goal, I have just added 15 more basses to the list of available instruments. Most of them are really lifetime keepers that I will be very sorry to let go of. But every one of them will make someone extremely happy. And if it doesn't for any reason, I am happy to take it back for a full refund.

5. BonBass

BonBass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2019
    New York City area
    I am making this post to highlight my very positive experiences buying instruments from XNEWYORKA. The basses and guitars for sale in this listing are a wonderful opportunity for someone in the market for purchasing one of the models available. The care of each instrument has been phenomenal, which can be reassuring to know when buying online without having had the opportunity to play the instrument before purchasing.

I spent an afternoon with XNEWYORKA recently, playing on a majority of the basses that remain for sale. It was like going to a bass museum. All the basses are stored in a temperature- and humidity-controlled environment. Many of the basses are in mint or near mint condition. ALL of the basses have been magnificently maintained and serviced. Some of these basses have had hours of work done on them by XNEWYORKA in order to return them to a pristine playing condition. His ability to fine-tune the setup on each bass is as good as any professional master technician.

The superlatives used throughout this thread to describe the basses for sale as well as XNEWYORKA himself are well-deserved. First, he is an incredibly nice guy, approachable, enthusiastic, and very knowledgeable about all things related to the bass. Second, he knows these instruments extremely well. Third, his investment of time and expertise in maintaining each bass is a hidden yet significant value-added to each instrument. If you buy one of these basses, you are not only buying the bass; you are buying the expertise of XNEWYORKA to ensure the bass is in the very best condition that it can be. I experienced this as having a professional-level of quality control built right into the sale of each bass. Sure, this quality control is being provided by the seller, but XNEWYORKA’s approach to bass maintenance involves a strong attention to detail that a buyer will benefit from.

In full disclosure, I ended up buying three basses from XNEWYORKA: one for a child (lightweight with a narrow neck for small hands), one for traveling on planes (a lower cost bass to limit my heartbreak if it is damaged or stolen in transit), and one high caliber, professional-level workhorse of a 5-string bass that feels great to play, has fantastic tone, and is a perfect complement to the ’78 Fender P-bass that I’ve been playing since 1981.

Given the substantial number of basses and guitars that XNEWYORKA continues to have listed for sale, I thought I would take a moment to post a review of my experience buying from him. I am really pleased with the bass purchases I made, and I only have positive things to write about my experience of communicating and transacting with XNEWYORKA.

Happy bass playing everyone!

31HZ, reddavid, Lowendtech and 9 others like this.
  6. Jothabass

Jothabass

Jul 18, 2009
    Northern NJ
    OMG!!! The LeFay Pangton and the KS White Tiger... Absolute dream Basses!!!
    You can’t go wrong with XNewYorka!!! He’s an absolute AAAA seller, amazing guy and top bassist!!!
    My Xmas bonus it’s on risk right now with that LeFay..!!!

7. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I appreciate the huge task you’ve taken on and the results are great. However, there is nothing more important than kids and family time. Life is fragile and can end any moment. Sorry to be a downer but I have a different take due to my situation.
    Wishing you all the best

Jothabass and xnewyorka like this.
  8. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Very sorry to hear that @bbh. Yes, you are absolutely right about that. I hope the spirit of the holiday season brings some special happiness and joy into your life. We are all here for you as well if you want to rely on this kind and wonderful community for some support.

9. quindecima

quindecima Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    That pretty well sums up my experience also except I didn't get the Mason and Hamlin I wanted.

10. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    You mean they haven't delivered it yet? They told me they were only going to be using it at Carnegie Hall for a couple of nights before whisking it off to your place. I'll check into it....

quindecima likes this.
  11. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I purchased 4 instruments from XNEWYORKA..two awesome basses, a strat and an acoustic. As mentioned these instruments were all in showroom mint condition. On one of the basses he even dialed in his favorite setting. I had prior to this post communication with him since we were both interested in LeFay Basses and his information was super helpful and spot on correct.
    I’ve said it a few times within this thread but if you’re thinking about acquiring any of these instruments you will be very happy with the transaction..

TolerancEJ and xnewyorka like this.
  12. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Beatufiful.

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Wow, nothing says electric bass guitars more than this.
    GLWTS

ErikP.Bass and xnewyorka like this.
  14. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Wow! How did I miss this. I would have taken the lot!

15. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    It's not too late, you still can. Bonus: You can use a much smaller truck now!

TolerancEJ and AB Nate like this.
  16. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Monday morning quarterback

Skaswan and xnewyorka like this.
  17. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    Just read through the whole thread, I'm half speechless and half grateful.

I think I'm only posting to feel a part of the story. Oddly I think this thread cured me of my GAS, and I didn't buy anything. I think it was the wisdom, the lessons to be learned. I should play the amazing basses I have and stop with the collecting already.

31HZ and xnewyorka like this.
  18. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Bravo, glad to hear that, and glad it helped you. Yes indeed, if you have at least one bass that is a good bass, spend your time and energy mastering it, and look for a new one when and if you find that your ability to make good music is being limited by a unfixable deficiency that is inherent in your instrument.
    Of course the grass is always greener. Except actually, it's not.

One thing that astounded me over and over through this painful process was the number of basses I received that were very difficult to play smoothly and impossible to make good music on, simply because of a poor setup. After spending as little as 5 minutes, or as much as 20 or 30 minutes in severe cases, I was able to turn a complete dud into a total winner with a few turns of a truss rod nut and saddle screws and/or a change to strings better suited for the specific instrument. Only once or twice did I have to do anything "invasive" like replacing an over-filed nut or leveling a couple of frets.
    In these instances, I actually felt a bit guilty, because I know in my heart that if the people who sold those basses had gotten them set up properly, they would have never considered selling them.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  19. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    If everyone took care of their instruments like @xnewyorka the world would be a better place.

I can’t even imagine the insurance premium!

This thread is just AWESOME....we really need a bass museum....paging Geddy Lee....

TolerancEJ and xnewyorka like this.
  20. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    Ok, now I know how to contribute.

This thread isn't really about basses at all. It is the story of filling our empty spaces with meaning. A dozen people have acknowledged these voids in the dozen pages that have been spanned. The stories overlap in remarkable ways.

I made a good use of my small inheritance, it was a down payment on a home when I started my PhD, and, in turn, when that home sold last year it was almost 100% more than I bought it for 7 years ago.

So I have the money to buy the things I dreamed about as a teen, MM basses and an SWR Redhead.

The story of acquiring basses has been told well, so allow me to tell you that the grass does get greener--it does get better.
    But, it never goes away.

I was excited this year, I enjoyed Christmas again... I put my foot in my mouth declaring "this is first Christmas I've felt happy since people started dying." But, the expression did honestly capture my feelings.

Not just to you, but to everyone with an emptiness, I can't promise you peace, but I hope you find it.

31HZ, graphics1988, ted burik and 2 others like this.