Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Large crack in the side of my instrument.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by i like tictacs, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Recently, my guitar and Modulus Flea Bass had a little face off, in otherwords, my Flea fell off it's stand and punched the Taylor acoustic in the side. Large cracks up and down the body of the Taylor. Here is the thread with more details.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196286

My question for the luthiers is, is there any way I could go about repairing this myself? I'm not too interested in preserving the looks of the instrument, as it's on the underside and hardly visible, but I'd like to prevent the crack from growing and i'd like to keep it stable if at all possible. Thanks! Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. If it were me I'd honestly want to take that to someone who does that sort of repair to acoustics. At least to get their estimate of what to do about, if not to do the fix as well. I'm not one to say what the effects of trying to repair that yourself might have on the instrument.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    What a shame. Ouch! It couldn't hurt to take it to a pro and get an estimate. I would be tempted to use system 3 mirrorcoat if it was mine and I couldn't afford to pay somebody to do it......Good luck .......Tom

4. Repairing this kind of thing is one of the most challenging tasks a luthier/repair person can face. I say take it to a pro. It'll cost you plenty, too.

5. Do I have any options if I want to fix it myself? Just to get it to hold together.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    'I would be tempted to use system 3 mirrorcoat Epoxy if it was mine and I couldn't afford to pay somebody to do it......'

7. Maybe cleet it like they do on uprights?

8. I gorilla glued it back together. Holding up fine and sounds just like she used to.