Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Large Format Performance

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bucephylus, Jan 1, 2006.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    First Caveat: I am primarily a club player and don't have a lot of experience with large venues.

That said, I just did my 4th (or so) gig with a contracted soundman with 6000 W, massive subs etc. etc. We were one of several acts at a fairly large Scottsdale NYE extravaganza. Our front guy didn't feel like dealing with sound, and so opted for the contracted sound option. The fellow we drew seemed to have a lot of experience, and the gear was all top quality. However, it was just too freakin' loud. After the Scottsdale PD informed him that it would have to come down because it was violating the city noise ordinance, he brought the levels down, but the mix was gone. Played the last set without being able to hear the bass at all and came home with my ears ringing. And this is a blues/funk band.

I detest large systems. I have never once, in my limited experience, played in a large format that sounded remotely good. They remind me of the overdriven subwoofers in the cars. I feel sorry for the touring acts that have to put up with this situation on a regular basis. I'll get back to my clubs where the sound levels and mix are musical.

End of rant.

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dude: They don't have to put up with it, and neither do you.

Why would you just assume that all soundmen are bad? Why would you assume that big-time pros can't find good soundpeople?

...pff

Never mind.

Joe

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Fair enough. Perhaps, my experience is mainly due to one time performances. I'm sure that when touring, it's normal to shake the bugs down.

4. It has been my experence from helping put on shows for a year or so (everything from piano and vocals to full on blow your ear drums out rock concerts), that at most shows

1. They have very experenced sound guys behind the boards and
    2. The police usually don't show up and tell them to turn down.

I think the problem in your situation was just in experence at the controls. Never judge based on one experence.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey - I'll be the first to say that most soundpeople are BAD; I mean bad.

I guess what pisses me off is that they should get it right, or they shouldn't be in-business! Bands should complain, and/or shouldn't hire them back, but they do! These guys can reply to complaints with "I've been doing this for so-many years", or "Hey, if I'm so bad, why are my services booked-up for months?" Good question.

The point is: We shouldn't assume that we don't have a choice! We should seek-out good sound people, and shun the bad ones!

Joe