Large stature 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicoli, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Assuming I find a decent summer job after school gets out in a month or two, I will be looking to add a 1x15 cab to my rig (among other things).

My problem here is that the 4x10 I'm running is absolutely massive, it's a Sunn 410H and the dimensions are 25.5" wide and 17" deep. I have yet to come across a 1x15 that will fit underneath this cab without a lot of overlap which obviously makes me nervous.

Anyone know of an 8 ohm 1x15 that would be of similar size? Preferably I'd like one that has those indents built in that allow casters to fit snugly so I don't have to take the wheels off and carry the 4x10 around (what are those called anyway?).

Also, anyone run a 1x15 on top of a 4x10? Is there any reason not to do this? I don't think I've ever seen a bass rig with the 15 on top other than my own the one time I borrowed one, and I wasn't a big fan of the sound although it was a crappy cab.
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Bag End S-15B-D is 18.5x28.5x24.5.[​IMG]
  3. I seem to recall that during its brief late-'90s revival by Fender, Sunn made a 1x15 cabinet as well as a 2x15.

EDIT: taking a look at the Fender website, it appears that the new Bassman 115 enclosure is identical to the old Sunn one. I'm sure it's quite reasonably priced, too.

RE-EDIT: never mind that, and it wouldn't fit anyway.
  4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I think the Peavey BX 115 (Older) ones are 25". If not, you could place it on it's side, but I'm pretty sure it's 25" They are practically square.
    Rockin cab. You can getem used for $200.
  5. Hehe. If you got a Bassman 215 (an 8-ohm 2x15! :eek: ), you could put your 410 on top of it no problem--the Bassman 215 is the same cab as the old Sunn 215.

This assumes that you enjoy carrying things such as refrigerators and port-o-johns. :D
  6. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The Avatar B115 is 27"H X 25"W X 16.5"D

.5" overlap on each side isn't bad. My Peavey 410TX is around 19" deep (I think) and it sits on my Avatar fine.
  7. I've seen a pic of one of those Sunn 2x15 that someone posted on TB before and it must be the biggest cabinet I've ever seen, I bet it would make some 8x10s look small. Ideally I'd dig up a Sunn 1x15 but they're not easy to find as the line is discontinued.

There seem to be a whole lot of used Peavey cabs that pop up around here so if they fit then either that or the Avatar are probably my best option so far. This is assuming that a Bag End is out of my range, they're quite pricey aren't they?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming if you know of any others!
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Is it a "look" thing?

I used to set a Goliath II on top of a home built 1x15 that was 24 by 16 on the problems with it tipping over.

Keep in mind that in a 4x10 most of the weight will be just in front of the mid point as that's where the magnets are.

My guess is that if you have the middle 20 inches of width supported and most of the depth, it's not going anywhere.
  9. Well looks are part of it but they're not really my main concern. Obviously it would look awkward with a large 4x10 sitting on a tiny bottom cab, but I can't imagine it would be structurally safe either. Last time I used a 15"er I was knocking things off tables.

So looks like I could probably get away with something not quite as deep but I'd really like to have the width pretty closely matched.

The other great thing about finding a perfect match is the possibility of not having to take the casters off my 4x10 for stacking purposes.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Unless you have cups in the top of your 1x15, the 4x10 is going to roll off. On the other hand, if the 1x15 is narrow enough to fit inside the casters then you'll be in good shape
  11. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Or just flip your 4x10 upside-down so the wheels are on top.
  12. BillyB - Yes I meant assuming it had the cups.

NateDawg - That's so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it before. I suppose I could even flip the nameplate around if I really wanted to.

EDIT: Gah, I have a horrible feeling that the wheels on top are not going to make my rack happy but I guess I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm moving things around.

It seems the Peavey BX115 cabs are 4 ohms which isn't much good to me.
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You could use the Bag End S15B-D as posted by NeedMoreBass and turn your 4x10 on its side. If the casters rattle, just duct tape them during the gig.

I have heard from several bassists here that own them that this is a killer cab. and it 28.5" wide & 24.5" deep.

Good luck.
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'll have to pull out the tape measure to check - I'm going from memory here. But I believe the Fender BXR115 I have sitting in my garage doing nothing is the same dimensions as your Sunn 4x10.

If it is, they have apparently started making them again with the "Bassman" badge.

15. I'm pretty sure the Bassman isn't the right dimensions, or at least not the newer model.

How much do the Bag Ends go for?
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    A good place to check is Bass Northwest

You can email them for a price quote.
  17. willemstockton

Aug 22, 2006
    Hey the fender bxr 115 is HUGE. i mean it's perfectly square and i fit my meaty 4X12 on top of it. i don't have it right here so don't know the dementions. but that's the best bet. especially since it has cups right on top. so now where to get one? they are hard to find theese days since they are an 80's model. but i've been trying to get rid of mine locally. i bought it for recording purposes to add a bigger low end sound to my shape. now the album's cut and i don't need it. so email me, we can work out a price and maybe we can work something out.
  18. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    ETA: Whoa, this one got brought back from the grave.

I put a peavey 410tx on top of an avatar 1x15, they stack together nicely, the only overhang is over the back, where theres barely any weight.

You don't need cups, just turn both of your cabs on their side. Or set them on the ground next to each other, you might not always have room, but when you do, boy, you can convey a lot of low end with both cabs on the floor.
  19. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    The new Epifani PS 115 is 23" W x18" D x 21.5 H, lists for $499.00, 400 watts @ 8 ohms, 52 lbs. Great full, tight low end, articulate mids and sweet high end.