Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larger cables and signal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Dec 26, 2003.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Do longer speaker cables weaken the signal? I need to get a new cable, and on the ampeg site it says use 18 guage or bigger. I called my local music store, and they said they have 18 guage in 6ft, and 16 in 12ft. What would be best to connect a head and a cab?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    This subject always seems to create a fire storm. For short runs at power levels of about 300 - 400 watts or less, you cold get by with either gauge. The cross-sectional area of copper doubles as gauge drops three numbers. In other words, a 16 Ga. cable has almost twice the copper per foot than a 18 Ga. cable does (if 15 Ga was readily available, it would have twice as much copper as 18 Ga.).

Based on this and the info that you've given, the 6 ft. cable would have slightly less resistance than the 12 ft. cable. However, I'd go with a 12 ft. speaker cable because it gives you more options on where you can place the amp and cabinet relative to one another.

3. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Thanks, and could you steer me in the direction of another thread that already covered this or the search term?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are lots of ugly threads out there where folks start arguing about whether premium brand speaker cable sounds better than plain old jacketed cable.

If Ampeg gave some guidelines about power level/length/gauge...I'd follow them and be done with it.

5. Look under the recent thread titled "shielded/unshielded cables". In particular, read the article that PsychoBassGuy linked to.