Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larger Frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kurtmon, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    In the FEB 06 edition of Guitar World, Yngwie Malmsteen,says he uses the biggest Dunlop frets available ( In the Universe ) I have very large hands, I am wondering if this would also work for a bass?:eyebrow:

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I can't stand Yngwie Malsteem, ("Unleashing the f&#%*#% fury" on flight attendants and all) and I definitely prefer small frets. I don't think there's a necessary correlation between hand size and fret size preference, it's a more technique and style related factor.

Try out basses with large and small frets and see which ones you like! I picked up a Lakland 55-02 last month and the smaller frets are wonderful to play on. That said, I don't notice much of a difference between fret sizes when it comes time to just play.

3. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    Which Basses are known for the largest frets?

4. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    :help: AnyOne?:rollno:

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    With Carvin, you can select the fret-size you want...

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    G&L L2500s have jumbo frets.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    It depends on year, but most Fender's use Jumbo frets. If you go back older, vintage frets were much smaller. And I agree with the above poster that fret size is more a matter of technique. I prefer small frets, my current bass has Banjo frets on it, which are smaller than vintage bass frets. Id like to try Mandolin frets as well. But I play with a pretty light touch, and super low action. I can imagine if you slapped a lot, you might like higher action and bigger frets to give things a bit more deffinition, and make muting easier. It does affect the sound as well, as far as tone. The smaller frets have a woody buzz in them. Think fretless muwha, but not as pronounced. While the larger frets will produce a more metallic, crisp sort of sound. Just generally speaking there, you can get all sorts of tones out of both with playing technique and pickup/pre-amp combos.

8. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    Thanks for the info...I have a 2004 Fender Jazz MIM, What size would these be considered? I would be intrested in trying some of the larger frets available:)

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    They would likely be jumbo or medium-jumbo sized I would guess.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The biggest drawback to small frets is that they need to be replaced sooner (since you'll run out of fret to level and dress), and they seem to be a little more sensitive to setup. I have a lakland bass (with vintage wire) that started fretting out in one position, and the only solution was a refret. I refretted with the tall dunlop wire, and now it plays clean and clear in all positions. I DO notice a difference in feel and tone, but not a lot. The tone is a little less "woody" and a little deeper and brighter, with more sustain.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Actually, it depends on your playing style. With my lighter touch, my frets dont wear at all really. If you really dig in a lot, do a lot of bending and things that will put stress on the frets, then yes, they will wear quicker. But if you lighten up a bit in your approach, smaller frets will last plenty long.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    True, actually it was my bass' prior owner that played with a heavy touch. My point was that with jumbo wire you can level and dress many times before needing a refret. With the smaller wires you may only be able to successfully level once or twice before there isn't a functional amount of fret left .... and a refret costs 3x what a level and dress does!

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

I agree with that as well. If you play hard, you might want to consider the larger frets. But if you dont, you likely wont have any wear issues with smaller ones is all I meant :)