Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Largest US Bartolini Dealer? / 72MV5CX & 72MV5EX diff?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lo-freq, Aug 2, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    A local dealer told me it could take a few months for me to get a Bart pickup to replace the stock pup on my bass.

Does anyone know who might have the largest on-hand stock of Bart pups I could contact?

I'm looking for a 72MV5CX or 72MV5EX.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a difference in these two pups besides the number of coils?
    On Bart's website their descriptions are slightly different as to tone.

Thanks.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Clarification:
    The bart website doesn't have direct comments on the specific MM5 pu's I'm interested in, but there's another pu which has the same letters at the end of its designation which does have comments:

W5C - bright, smooth humbucker strong lows and low mids

W5K - brighter humbucker - treble enhanced version of the W5C

W5CX - brightest, but not harsh, humbucker - more treble and bass than the W5K

W5E - bright, smooth triple coil design

W5EX - brightest, treble enhanced version of the W5E

I noticed that the 'CX' description does not exactly parallel that of the 'EX'. Based on the above comments, assuming they also apply to the MM 72MV5 series, I would prefer the 72MV5CX (there was also a TBer recommending the 'CX' models as the closest pu to Lane Poors, of which I'm a big fan).

The other factor in my consideration is being able to use my SR5's 3-way coil switch, which I would assume would require one of the 3 coil models (perhaps not; I use the single coil setting on my SR5 about 95% of the time; I assume if you do use coil splitting on the 2 coil version, it will not be as quiet as the 3 coil). Hence my conundrum.

If the above assumptions are true, the main question is (assuming you can coil-split the 2 coil 72MV5CX) "how noisy would the 72MV5CX be in single coil mode?"

I guess I need to call Bartolini and see what they say, but I was hoping for some TB feedback from those who might have experience with one or both of these models.

I would like to put an Ag OBP-3 and one of the above two bart pu's on my SR5.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Check with Grasshopper, the pup guru at Bass Central, (toll free number is on their website).

I found him as as knowledgeable as Bartolini's VP of Eastern US Distribution and 10 times more helpful.

Grasshopper had my Bart quad-coil for me in a week. He says he doesn't know why he can get their products faster than anyone else he knows of, he just does.....if he doesn't already have your model in stock. (I wouldn't doubt it's because he moves so many of them).
    The prices were as good as, or better than, any dealer I contacted who offers the full Bartolini catalog of products.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Will do. Thanks.