Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

larrivee technique

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by kimstevens, Nov 21, 2004.

1. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Hello Michael,

Is the bridge on your Larrivee acoustic bass non-adjustable, and if so, do you have to alter your technique much in order to play in tune? I'm particularly curious about chords and whether they are approached differently, or if some configurations, such as barred fourths, are avoided. Also, will this instrument be on Soliloquy?

Thanks

Kim

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Kim,

The bridge on my Larrivee is like those on most acoustic guitars, without intonation adjustments. It is possible to have a specially intonated saddle made for this kind of bridge, but since my Larrivee is fretless I’ve never bothered. Setting intonation on fretless instruments can be kind of an abstract process! As you suggested, on all my fretless instruments I try to avoid chord voicings that are particularly difficult to get in tune. Barred voicings often fall into that category, but not always. The only real strategy I’ve found for getting chords in tune on fretless is to listen, pay attention to what works and practice, practice, practice.

I played two tunes on the Larrivee on my upcoming CD. Thanks for asking!