Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Graham DVD

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The Reff, Apr 20, 2005.

1. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Does any of you know if the Larry Graham instructional video "Super Slapping Bass" has been released on DVD ? I have a copy of the VHS with Japanese subtitles. The sound is awful but Graham plays like a dream, so if any of you guys could help me out, I would be very grateful :)

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I have this as well and its BRILLIANT, (dunno if its on DVD yet though)..even if you dont learn anything from it, Graham is a monster player and is just so damn cool, it's worth watching just for entertainment value alone..plus he has some pretty damn interesting things to say about how to write slap bass lines and how to construct them in a way to help you "lock" in with a drummer.....highly recommended.

(btw if anyone thinks Vic wooten is "the man" when it comes to double thumping...wait'll you see Graham doin it :eek: )

Murf

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Since when does Larry Graham use a double thumb technique?

-Eric.

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    yeah,

his playing AND tone are brilliant on that one. great entertainer, too, seems like a really funny guy. there isn`t that much one can learn from the video, but it`s great.

he DOES use DT, but no it na Vic-way, but more like a pick.

5. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    i though he was a bit cheesy on it. Just the way he spoke and his whole attitude seemed like he was taking the piss a bit... but thats just my opinon. I could only watch it once. He did sound good though.

6. Larry Graham got Victor thumping-I don't think he uses the technique.

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I actually prefer to hear some of the Graham Central Station songs played like they do on the video - just bass, drums and singing - he has an awesome voice too :) :) :)

8. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've heard Victor say many times that Reggie was the one that got him to double thump and Reggie does the same (and faster!) on guitar. I've never heard Larry Graham do that, but I only like a few older songs before he went into the 80's.

-Eric.

9. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Well he does it alright. Just not crazy fast like wooten.

10. Yes, Reggie taught Victor to thump when Vic couldn't hold Graham's groove (check out Victor Wooten: Live at Bass Day '98 if you want to see thumping and how hw started on it). I don't believe Reggie is faster, its just more strings and sounds more show-offy (real word?); at least that's what I believe.

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Yes but Graham was not using double thumb technique in the song, or at the time, that he made that song. It was just because Wooten was young and didn't have the coordination.

I'm not trying to defame Graham. I think he's some of the best slap lines out there. Hair is absolutely incredible.

-Eric.

12. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Mod Edit: Post about stealing elsewhere, not here.