Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Graham + GCS

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 18, 2005.

1. after coming to the conclusion that larry graham is the best and my fav bassist ever :p are there any live dvd's or videos?

2. well, I saw some Sly and the Family Stone footage when I was a kid, but I couldn't tell you what it was. you can also see Sly's performance in the Woodstock documentary. Larry was in Prince's band a few years back and there's a DVD floating around of the a New Year's show.

please let me know if you can find anything from the GCS era, though. that's some of my favorite bass playing ever!

maybe I should hit Audiophile Imports...

from the lows,

Stew

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmmm, a local CD store has a GSC CD... let me check which one on all music...

GCS 2000 is the title... is it any good? It looked really cheesy. And there is a song with Donna Summer or Chaka Kahn or someone that totally scared me off. For reference, I love Sly and the Family Stone. But the release date of this is Jul 21, 1998... which kinda scares me. Funk in the late 80s-90s usually was cheese central station... reviews?

4. here are some titles to look for if it's a compilation:

"Hair"
    "Pow"
    "Earthquake"
    "Turn It Out"
    "Engine"

Larry did eventually turn more from playing to crooning and I was certainly bummed, but it made him a lot more money and got him much more mainstream attention. he's got a great voice but for me it was always about his great lines, wild tones, and killer groove!

from the lows,

Stew

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Woodstock was on VH-1 yesterday...I happened to flip through during "I Want To Take You Higher". The video at this point in the show is pretty much crap; it's at night & very, very little of Graham is shown(even during his fuzz-drenched solo).

IIRC, about 10-15 seconds of Sly & The Family Stone was shown on Ken Burn's Jazz; I think it was at Newport...Graham is seen playing a red Jazz bass.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I thought "GCS 2000" was a compilation; in any event, I would definitely go for GCS's DEBUT album(it's like a continuation of The Family Stone).

Also, Betty Davis' self-titled DEBUT album.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Chaka! She belts.
    Her Rufus albums are a cool mix of '70s Soul + Funk + Rock.
    Her later solo albums, though more slick, have some great players + one(1) Anthony Jackson throwing down.

7. yeah ive seen that Prince Rave Un2 The Yr 2000 DVD...its pretty awesome, prince has a nice all white warwick...but i got the Larry Graham and Graham Central Station Anthology 2 disc set..its pretty damn good...im not too fussed on larrys crooning though....as i was typing this i was listening to earthquake :p

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I's not GCS but you can check out Larry's video, Funk Bass Attack. Larry's playing with a drummer and an organ player and they DO BRING THE FUNK!!!