Larry Graham instructional video.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It never gets old.. It's sooo funny.

2. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the first tune is so awesome

[kra kra kra ka!]

standin' on the highwayeeayee!
    waitain' 'n na raiyan'
  3. This goes to show that things covered in white pwn all.

Damn i gotta get me a white bass. Oh snap, i already have one!
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Don forget a set of gold-colored strings!
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    And some gold teeth ;).
  6. I had the pleasure to met Larry Graham, here in my town Copenhagen, Denmark, after an incredible concert with Graham Central Station, I think it was back in 1998-99.

Larry is really a great person, and a dam funky bass player, I love that man
  7. Wow you are lucky, that phaser pedal he uses in the video is amazing.
  8. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    It's a joke as an instructional video, but there's some pretty badass playing in there when he opens up. That dude can just throw down with the best of em.
  9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Have you guys seen louis johnsons 20lick?

Man, when he was trying to explain how he plays i didn't understand a **** he just went on and said "i dont even remember myself" etc...

the licks was just slap wankery in my opinion not impressed at all, new style of masturbating bass as he said in the video..
  10. Amazing video isnt it! I cant work out which is bigger his bass sound or his personality! More inspirational than instructional I would say :)
  11. I dont know about the 20 lick louis johnson video, but ive seeen the star licks video , and it was pretty awesome , when i saw him i was like how am i supposed to learn this :eek:, but i never gave up and i learnt 5 bass licks of the video, and I'm still gonna continue learning the licks, pretty awesome stuff. He owns :hyper: :smug:. He eally influnced me, hes an awesome bassist.
  12. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I thought the Larry Graham video plain sucked. It was almost like he was making fun of "slappin & poppin', chopper bass, thumping and pluckin', whatever you wanna call it"

Ditto about the Louis Johnson video. Its a bit better for learning, and i worked through about 4 songs off it, even though at 1st i didnt think i get 1 down. It good how he slows it down and talks about the technique.
  13. if you don't think to highly of Larry Grahams instructional vid your probably missing the point, that vid was mostly groove orientated more than anything else...
  14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I actually thought that video had some great stuff in it..... great to see how he's not one to take himself too seriously.
  15. I downloaded the video thinking it would be well, instructional. Not so much. Fun to watch him get busy though. The funny part was the "on-command" MXC drummer he had. Anytime he needed a beat that dude was lights out - bam. Perhaps my version was some kind of bootleg because the drummer was japanese and there was all kinds of subtitles.

Did he borrow that suit from Buck in Boogie Nights?

In a way, it kind of reminded me of Fred McGriff talking about that Tom Emanski baseball video.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh come on! He showed you his techniques. He showed you how to apply them. He played some absolutely great bass on it. After seeing that video, I'm firmly convinced more than ever that Larry Graham is the world's greatest slap bass player. I don't give a rat's ass about anyone else having better chops or better technique or crap like that. Larry Graham makes you move! If you didn't learn anything from that video, then you are a bassist I don't care to hear.