Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry graham or stanley clarke

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chris griffiths, Oct 24, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    so there is an a bassist on my floor from israel and he's pretty persistant that stanley clarke invented slap bass. And I am as equally persistant that It was Larry Graham or if you wanna get into semantics Milt Hinton. If it's Larry I win ten bucks. Anyone wanna confirm?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm pretty sure Larry was slappin' before Stan... I remember listening to Sly on my little cheapo transistor radio and getting my head spun around pretty good long before I heard Stanley doing it. BTW, Larry came here once a few years ago...he broke two strings and blew an amp...during soundcheck!

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yes, Larry was doing it before Stanley.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And the doghouse players were doing it way before that...

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    True, but different technique.

6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Stan and the brown bass are often credited with creating the slap/funk bass technique. Appearing first on the Stanley Clarke album, it is now a worldwide standard playing style. "A lot of guys think that I started it, or that Louis Johnson (Brothers Johnson) popped first on the bass. But it was Larry Graham ( Sly & the Family Stone, Graham Central Station). He didn´t do it the way I do. But I saw him do it first and I took it from there."

What Stanley did do was to formalize the technique. "Larry started it, but he only had one lick. That put the seed there. When I started doing it, I was the first guy in jazz to pop anything. And I played it over (chord) changes. A lot of guys could jam all day in E but couldn´t play it over changes. " Soon everyone jumped on the bandwagon and Stanley all but dropped the technique. " Now I´ve got a great idea. It´s a new lick that´s kind of a four-fingered pop. It´s real powerful."

Above quote from this page, a few pages into the site.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Larry. Go collect your money.

8. If you look at the first appearance

Larry is the 60's
    Stan is the 70's

Easy math.

9. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    remind me I owe some of you guys a portion of 10 dollars :)

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Which song was it that Stanley first did the slap on? I'm thinking that it was his second album....but the name alludes me. :confused:

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Are you thinking of "Lopsy Lu"?
    Open-hammer plucks 20 years pre-Wooten...

;)

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah, no one likes Larry, he's a freaking Jehovah's Witness.

I might add so am i... JUST A LITTLE JOKEY JOKE!

13. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That might be it. I'll see if I can't find a snippit on some website. Thanks Jim!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I remember reading interviews or article by Wooten and he does say that he owes most of his technique to Stanley Clarke.

There's a track on "Bass Extremes" called "Stan the Man" dedicated to Clarke and in the notes Wooten explains how he could never play triplets as fast as Stanley Clarke and that he developed his own style just to be able to keep up with him!

15. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, Lopsy Lu, that's the one. Thanks!

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i think Stanley was slapping before Lopsy Lu- i may be wrong , but i believe there was a small bit of it on Children of Forever, Stanleys first solo record- and then on Return to Forevers "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy"- gotta love the titles..that music fueled my youth.
    Funny, though, how these guys kinda blow a little smoke up their own butts- ' i was the first doing this and that.." with all due respect to Mr Clarke, whom i worshipped then- but has anyone seen the Louis Johnson video- " nobody plays this as fast as me" and all this noise, come on, man- there ALWAYS SOMEBODY that can clean your clock- Victor Wooten is an mutant of bassdom- he pretty much plays what he damn well pleases, and ive met the cat- HUMBLE is an understatement- a true pleasure.. and hes the first to do a lot of things on the bass- very refreshing.
    I guess, like Jaco said - its aint braggin if you can back it up- but its sure nice to skip the attitude- we all sucked once- some of us still do
    :D