Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Graham or Verdine White signature Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Dec 26, 2005.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Well I'm going to say this......... I think if Fender can make the Geddy Lee,Marcus Miller,Sting ( of which are deserving) and Mark Hoppus ( of all people) signature bass,then it just seems to me that they could at least try to make an attempt to make a Larry Graham signature bass, and a Verdine White signature bass regardless of what type of basses they use now. :mad: ......
    Good night.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Well there's also a matter of if the bass is different enough from a standard (Marcus Miller), if the person can move units (Mark Hoppus), and all that stuff too...

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember Larry Graham having some sort of arrangement with Fender during the early 1980's. As for Verdine White, I think Yamaha has him spoken for.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Larry Graham has a deal with Moon basses, and Verdine, as mentioned, is covered by Yamaha. Quite frankly, I'm sick of signature model basses. So many people have them that it's lost its prestige.

6. Just curious, but I thought Verdine White was with Ibanez..

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope, Verdine's used a TRB4 for years now.

8. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Verdine had a deal with Ibanez from about 2000 to 2003; they dropped his model because of poor sales.

True, he primarily plays a Yamaha TRB4; he frequently uses a Sadowsky in the studio as well (although on "The Promise" CD he did replace some of the Sadowsky tracks with the Yamaha because he prefered the tone better)

I have one of his Ibanez basses and I must say, the tone is Monsterous!!!! P/J pickups, 4 string, Ebony fret board, 3 band EQ, push/pull volume knob for outbut boost!!

It was based on the Soundgear line, however the neck is wider - like a Precsion.

They are rare so if you find one pick it up and hold onto it.

I bought mine at a local pawn shop; some clown had sanded the finish off the body trying to get a "Natural" look. I got it for a cool $275 and repainted it back to its orignal color (or as close as possible).

KT

9. Celinder makes a Larry Graham signature bass... I'm not sure they've sold any of them!

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nicer.. I would want one of those with chrome on it though..

11. But then it wouldn't be a 'Larry Graham' signature... although I guess since it doesn't have the 'gooseneck' mike stand bolted to it, some liberties can be taken :D

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Larry Graham Celinder is called a LGTribute,it is not made to any approved specs by LG(plus Moonstone offered the LG signature and that would have been a conflict of interest),it was offered as a tribute to LG.Celinder offer offers a Marcus Miller and Victor Bailey Tribute as well.

13. actually marcus miller has a marcus miller tribute and likes it very much :)

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

This I know(but remember it's a tribute not a MM sig)

15. That is correct... sorry for my rather loose usage of the term 'signature'.

16. I still find the larry graham tribute pretty accurate and I've seen a moonstone and I found that not as good looking..

17. I believe that's because most 'signature' basses are designed to be mass produced at a relatively low cost (like the Fender MM bass and Geddy Lee bass, etc.). The Celinders are ultra high quality hand-made basses in the spirit of the basses used by the 'tribute' artists.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    hmmmm,now I would like to try one of those if I could. Who in the u.s carries these basses

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've had one sitting here for months. Got it from a pawnshop for the typical crazy deal.