1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Larry Graham-The Jam

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, I was listening to this track today (a great one it is!) and I thought "hmm, I'll look up the lyrics" since I couldn't make out what the drummer says before his solo (he speaks about Wiccan in a cod-Japanese accent for some reason).

Oddly enough, I couldn't find the said lyrics anywhere on the net. This annoys me somewhat, as it's a great song and I'd love to have the lyrics to it, so if anyone could oblige.... :D

Also, as I listened to my "greatest hits" album, I was made aware of just how geat larry really is. I'm sure we're all aware of the fact he is an amazing bassist, and for me he's a pleasing change to listen to given that my main diet of slap bass listening is to guys like Mark king, Stuart Hamm and Jonas Hellborg, listening to Larry is a soothing change when I want pure groove, without the "clicks" I love so much!

Not only that, but he is an amazing vocalist, certainly one of the best around. Thoughts?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

"Ohhh 'somnicai', I am 'wenuoh', they call me the 'wiccan', I am not one of you, I want to make you one of us, all you have to do is just listen to my drums then you will know why they call me 'wenuoh'." *Drum beat/solo*

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Ahh, thanks for that! Mind you, I still don't know why they call him "wenuoh" :cool:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He had Asian features, but he was black, and they used to tease him about it. So when they did this song, which is basically a jam session with the tape running, he ran with the joke by speaking in a stereotypical and exaggerated Chinese accent. Amazing drummer.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Indeed, I didn't appreciate how solid his beat-keeping was until it was the pure focus of the song, then I thought "this guys good!"

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    When you consider that Larry's thump style is like playing with a 2nd drummer, he did a great job. Larry's playing was so hard to follow, that he played drums on alot of the songs, and then had the drummer learn them. Greg Errico was the only drummer he didn't have to do that with.