Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Graham & the thumping and bumping!!PLEASE READ!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikEB, Apr 16, 2001.

1. MikEB

MikEB

Apr 16, 2001
    Hey, for my school, I;m doing a report on Larry Graham, and if anyone knew the answers, or know a good site, I'd be VERY appreciative. anyway, here are the questions:

What makes his playing so unique?

How did he compose his own music?

Who were his influences?? *(I guess he dind't really have any!)*

How is his style evident today?

How does he influence others today? Examples??

Well, thank you very, VERY much!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, Bootsy wasn't known for his slapping. He was a funkster who didn't use the thumb much, if at all.

3. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    The recent Fender "frontline"[or was it called BassStreet?,the one with Marcus Miller "driving the bus" on the cover] giveaway had a decent article on Larry and the origin of how he started using slap tecnique in an attempt to compensate for missing band members in his church group.Love his playing though;I'm listening to some Sly & the family Stone right now as I type this.

4. Go to www.bassplayer.com, then go to the 'Artists' section and find Larry Graham, it should have all the information you need.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That wasn't Marcus, that was Victor Bailey, a killer bassist in his own right and a new Fender endorser. The Larry Graham article is noteworthy for it's photo of Rusty Allen mistakenly for Larry Graham;)

I did a search on google.com, here's a decent page:
    http://www.livedaily.citysearch.com/artist/653.html

You also may want to check out www.allmusic.com for a discography.

Graham is first and foremost an entertainer. If you get a chance to check out any tapes of early Sly & the Family Stone...do it. Graham and the rest of the Family were always in constant motion, he sang while he played and danced and the clothes were pretty wild.

On his early GCS stuff he frequently played all of the instruments. On "I Got a Reason", a cut on the "Mirror" album, he also showcases his vocal range, which pretty much covered the range of the 4 string bass guitar...including harmonics;)

Later on he recorded "One in a Million", probably his biggest hit and a real departure from his early work.

Hope that helps,
    Brad

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Victor is not playing is Pensa Shur anymore?

7. I have a video called Larry Graham FUNK BASS ATTACK that is very informative. It includes short interviews between the tunes where Larry talks about his technique, approach to working with a band and some reminiscing with band members. It is from RITTOR music and is $24.95 US. Good Luck.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some people had supposedly still been spotting him a couple of months ago with his P/S bass from what I've heard. I wouldn't bet my life on it either way...just spreading a rumor. I don't know when the endorsment deal starts or even if it will.

9. Thanks Brad,
    I was wondering who was that guy!

Bassstreet is of very low quality IMO.
    The best thing are Victor Bailey's black brand new socks.