Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Graham's Moon Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ganttbos, Apr 3, 2002.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    What can anyone tell me about Moon Basses? I know they're Japanese, Larry Graham plays one, and they use some Warmoth parts. Pickups are Bartolini and/or Kent Armstrong. The company website is in Japanese. Is there an English language site?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Considering they make other models, I'm surprised to hear they use Warmoth parts for their J basses. Where did you hear this?

3. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hello Brad,

I read the Warmoth thing in the only review I could find. I'm selling a Roscoe LG3005 and a guy emailed me offerring a Moon Climb 250 as a trade. I'm not interested in the trade but it made me curious about the bass since he said the list was $3800.00!

http://www.bgra.net/reviews/moon-jj4-rvw.html

Gantt

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You've misread it! It says : "They also make a series of basses using Warmoth bodies from Washington. " In other words - there is another series of basses using Warmoth bodies - not this one!

I saw one of these in the Bass Centre in London recently - it was going for about £1,100 although I think the list over here is about £2000. I thought it looked alright - worth about £1,000, but nothing like the list price!

I did a google search and it came up with loads of links - here's some pics :

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/briansbass/page238.html

5. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Yep. You're right. My mistake. Thanks for the link.
    Gantt

6. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    There are 3 on the Bass Gallery website:

Moon Jazz 4, all white, Larry Graham model £1250
    Moon Jazz 4, violet, ex Mark Egan £1150
    Moon Jazz 4, cream, lined fretless, ebony fingerboard, ex Randy Hope Tailor £950

The site hasn't been updated for ages but they were once in the shop!

Matt