Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Grenadier (Pat Metheny, Brad Mehldau)

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 10, 2002.

1. I saw both sets that the Brad Mehldau Trio played at Scullers in Boston on Friday. Man, they're tight!

Obviously, the point of comparison for this trio is the classic Bill Evans trio, since Mehldau's Evans influence is fairly apparent (especially on ballads). Against the unattainable standard of Scott LaFaro, Grenadier still does an admirable job. His playing isn't quite as busy, but he complements Mehldau quite nicely, and his solos were excellent.

What really impressed me about the group was their ability to shift into often tricky time signatures (7/4 and 9/8 seem to be favorites of Mehldau's) with aplomb. Kudos to Grenadier and to drummer Jorge Rossi(sp?) for leaving enough breathing space to make these meters seem perfectly natural.

A friend and I spoke with him between sets. He's a really smart, down-to-earth guy.

2. I saw Larry play with PM and Bill Stewart in DC about 2 years ago, and he was really impressive!

3. Did they do any of the Radiohead tunes? I know BM's jazz playing is very solid, but I really get a charge out of him playing Radiohead. He does "Exit Music (for a film)" with the trio, and I have a solo recording of BM doing "Paranoid Android" - WOW!

4. Sadly, he didn't do any contemporary pop tunes.

I'd love to hear Mehldau's solo "Paranoid Android." I've not heard many pianists with this much dynamic range. '70s McCoy Tyner he ain't ;)

5. If you're interested in checking out his version of "Paranoid Android," check out Starbucks' Groundworks CD. It is the only disc I've been able to locate with that track on there. While it's a solid CD, it's worth buying for that one song. If you appreciate pianists with tons of dynamic range, this track will blow you away!

6. shinebass

shinebass

Dec 19, 2001
    Ptuj, Slovenia
    hi!
    did any of you guys who have seen him in concert manage to check out larry's equipment that he uses live? his sound with pat metheny trio -> live is simply incredible.

7. From my vantage point, it didn't appear that he was using any onstage amplification with Mehldau. He was mic'ed up, however.

8. shinebass

shinebass

Dec 19, 2001
    Ptuj, Slovenia
    i thought so. i wander if with pat metheny he also goes unamplified. on the live record he sounds as if he is only using a mic...
    by the way i have seen brad mehldau trio, not with larry but with darek oles on bass. he had the gage realist pickup (through g-k mb150) and a small audiotecnica clip-on mic. that was the best live acoustic sound i've heard so far.

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    When I saw him with Metheny in Kansas City, I think he was using the Schertler Stat-B, which is an electrostatic mic capsule inside a piece of cork that sits in the bridge. A very thin wire, it is hard to see sometimes. On the live recording, he probably used a mic as well. I have a hard time imagining him being mic only with Pat; pretty high stage volume.

Monte

10. shinebass

shinebass

Dec 19, 2001
    Ptuj, Slovenia
    yes, that's what i was thinking about.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the double C.D. of the Metheny trio with Grenadier on bass and Bill Stewart on drums[ who I also really dig!] I love the choice of bassist Metheny has used.....in the last twenty years they always seem to be cats that have great sense of space and not overplaying i.e. Rodby and especialy Charlie Haden!

12. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Does anyone know what kind of bass and strings Larry plays on?

13. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Hey Ed,
    What's up. RW's out of town until Sunday so I'll ask him then, but he did have good things to say about the Kolstein Fendt.