Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Grenadier

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Nov 6, 2005.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I looked through 14 pages of headings and did a few searches, but I can't find any discussion of his playing.

I haven't been exposed to that much, but for the past few hours I've been listening to the Art of the Trio albums. His playing is absolutely beautiful. Are there any places (albums, websites) where I can find more information on him and his playing. Any information from any of you in the TB world would be great to.

Thanks.

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Pat Metheny Trio and Trio "Live 00" albums.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Go to www.allmusic.com and type "Larry Grenadier" in the search engine. That will give you an idea of the other recordings he is on.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    My two favorites are his work with a group called FLY. It is a trio with Jefferd Ballard and Mark Turner. I also really dig his work on the latest Brad Mehldau effort, Day is Done.

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Larry is so great. Every time I've seen him live (which is quite a few times), he's been unbelievable. He always plays at the highest level. And his tone! He's got one of the best bass sounds out there right now.

Definately one of the greats IMO...

6. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    Colorado
    tim hagans "audible architechture": grenadier, tim hagans, bob belden, billy kilson. don't know if it's in print or not, but it's good music.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I met him backstage at the Bottom Line. I was working with a singer who was opening for Larry and his wife's band. Jorge Rossy was playing drums. He just used a mike onstage and played great. His playing with Brad Mehldau is my favorite but he sounds great with everyone.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's a great photo in one of William Claxton's ( I think) books of Larry playing (upright) at the Monterey Jazz Festival with some high school band when he's about 14 years old; his brother's playing guitar...

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure he has been mentioned many times on TB and there was a discussion only recently that I remember particularly where a few of the UK members like myelf mentioned an album by Stan Sulzmann - a great Jazz Sax/Flute player and composer, who I have had classes with...

So Stan's last CD was called "Jigsaw" and featured a rhythm section of Marc Copland, Bill Stewart and Larry Grenadier - somw really nice original tunes, great sound and lovely playing from all!! :)

Hear some samples here :

http://www.stansulzmann.co.uk/jigsaw.htm

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've got an old DownBeat mag where he won the DownBeat award as a high school student. He looks about 14 in the pic.

11. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I was going to go on about that again - one of the best albums I've heard from the last few years, highly reccomended