1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Larry Hartke's newest fan club member...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clubdude, Mar 24, 2009.

1. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

I'm now a confirmed member of Larry Hartke's fan club. I've been playing Hartke gear since I started back gigging on bass a few years ago. And I had no luck getting the Samson guys to call me back. I couldn't believe it when you guys said you just call him up and talk to him about most anything regarding bass equipment or playing.

It is true.

I googled for his number, and got his website, where I got his cell number. We hit it off right away, because we are close in age and bass experience. Talked about all the old gear from the 70's and stuff. The Stu Hamm bass on his website is almost identical to mine, except mine is red, and his is yellow. So we talked about the fact that I'm thinking about selling mine.

Then he got around to asking why I was calling. I don't if any of you guys have had this problem, but I have a Hartke H3500 MOSFET head, with a JJ tube from Bob at Eurotubes. It sounds great through a 410XL and a 2x10XL Hartke cabs, for my style and taste. But almost every gig, it just quits for 5 seconds or so (the power light stays on, but no sound will come out), and then starts back perfectly, two or three times, usually about the second set. I took it to the best tech around, and he put a new passive input jack on it, cleaned it, and checked all the solder joints, but could find nothing, even after leaving it on for days.

When I told Larry that, he said he would call his service manager, and I would be getting a call tomorrow (Wed), he promised. He even gave me the guy's name. I mentioned while we were talking, that I was almost ready for a LH1000. It reminds me of my first "real" amp, a Fender Bassman. I could live with the power of the LH500, but I wanted the balance control that only the 1000 has, so I could put more power into my 4x10, than my 2x10.

He said, when you are ready, I'll get you one for (a price MUCH lower than anywhere advertised, even used or demo's) and have it delivered to your door. It's an open offer, and then he took down all my info.

Now THAT's service!

I just called him back and ordered it. I'm still a little state of shock. I guess there are better amps out there than the LH1000, but not for the money. Not even close, imo.

Thanks, Larry!

2. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    sounds great, i love my LH500

i thought the balance control was some sort of an eq "tilt" for highend/lowend

3. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Sounds amazing. Some six years ago, I met the owner/designer of a local sound equipment manufacturer (Meteoro) myself, and he was also extremely nice. He sat there in the shop for some 20 minutes, talking to me (I'm a crap player nowadays, but I was an absolutely complete newbie to bass at the time), playing, demoing some new stuff he had just designed. Got me a discount on a combo and OD pedal, too.

I'm also on the verge of buying a Hartke combo (Hydrive 115c) to replace the Meteoro SB12 I bought back then. Great to know I'm buying something that comes from someone equally sympathetic to his consumers.

4. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

BAW,
    The LH1000 has dual power sections. You can bridge them together say if you were running one 4ohm cab.

When they are in "Dual" mode, and you are running two cabs, at 8ohms each (for example) you can power one side louder than the other. Much like a fader/balance control on your car stereo.

From the Hartke LH500/LH1000 users manual:
    "BALANCE control knob (LH1000 only) – This control knob adjusts the level difference between the Channel
    1 and Channel 2 amplifiers. If you are using two different cabinets (for example a 115 and 410), you may want
    to drive one a little harder than the other to balance your sound. In the center (12:00 o’clock) position, both
    amplifier channels are at equal power. The BALANCE control has no effect when the LH1000 is running in bridge
    mode."

Hope that makes it clear. Thanks for the question.
    CD

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    That is stellar! Chalk up another for the customer service hall of fame!

The reviews on the LH series have been consistently good, I don't hesitate in recommending them on inquiry.

Kim

6. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Very cool. Larry is awesome and the LH series amps are stellar. I love my LH1000.

7. the engine

the engine Guest

Good story! Congrats to you AND to him! I can only say that Curt Mangan has always done the same for me. Awsome guy. I've heard that the Avatar guy (Dave I think) is easy to talk to as well. Still, your story is awsome and I hope you enjoy your new head.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm getting a newfound respect for Hartke cabs. Those Hydrives are a lot better sounding than the aluminum drivers. Always kind of dug their amps but not the cabs. But I tried a couple combos a couple weeks ago and was pretty impressed. Not quite my thing, but a big step up from previous efforts.

9. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    yep. Larry is the real deal, the genuine article.

and my LH500 is ;as stated already but nearly enough in the global consciousness yet :smug: ; STELLAR!!

cheers to great tone and an even better friend of the bass!!

10. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've talked to larry as well

he's very helpful, & genuinely sounded like he cares about the products that bares his name out there in use

he offered to send me a set of strings as well

HEY LARRY,,,, WHERE'S MY STRINGS :meh:

hahaha :smug:

11. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Yeah, Dave at Avatar Speakers is a nice guy, too. I buy all my Celestions from him. Those Hellatone's are the real deal for guitar.

I'm still psyched about the LH1000. I forgot to mention, Larry is sending a new set of strings for me to try, also. I'll try anything, but it'll be hard to get me off my DR SS Hi-Beams.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced rack bag or rack case? Man, some of them cost more than a head!:help:

I have a Peavey rack bag on my 3500, but I'd like to sell the head with it on it, to set it apart a little from the rest. I got to get that intermittent pause out of the amp first.

CD

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Actually, I'd like to try out a 410XL with my GK 1001RB-II. :)