1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Larry Kimpell's site

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 28, 2006.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I met Larry shortly before he left Chicago was still in college and went down to a jazz club (the bull's)like i did every week to hang out and listen and learn.there was a singer named regina brown that night and she had a all star band including Larry kimpell.when they went on break he noticed my gig bag and asked me what was in it,when i told him a bass(didn't want to)he sat down and started talking to me and asking me about myself.when it was time for them to play I thanked him for talking to me and he said"oh your not leaving are you? i want you to sit in so i can hear you play" and sure enough he called me on stage to play a tune.I made it through the tune ok(I was so so green)and he asked me for my number.the next day he called me and told me he had just got the Anita baker gig and was going on tour AND GAVE ME EVERYONE OF HIS GIG'S HE COULD!!! larry,who didn't even know me,hooked me up just to help a young brother starting out.I have never forgot that and try to give a helping hand whenever i can because of that.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow man.
    That's a cool story.

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thats how Larry is still, even after being in L.A. for a number
    of years now. As good a player as you'll find in L.A. and a