1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Larry made this one easy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schecter5string, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I'm finally going to get a real rig:hyper:

I'm playing throught a Fender Bassman 100 combo right now. For what it is it works but now that I have a group to play in it doesn't cut it. It turns into a fart feast at high volumes and is tonally challenged.

I have always love the tone of Harke and Ampeg gear, then I joined this forum and found out about Larry Harke and what a stand up guy he is, and I do believe he is from Jersey(most of my family is there)

So my brand new 3500c ships out today:p

My next purchase will be a 410 to go with this head and I plan on that to be Hartke as well. Any suggestions on the cab would be great.

I'm mostly a rock player, fingers and pick, I like defined lows with alot of punch, and great mids, also my bass is a 5er so a cab that can give a defined B is a must.

TY in advance
    Steve

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    a "fart feast"? that's gross.

3. Strychnine

Strychnine

May 6, 2009
    I've had a Hartke 3500 for about 10 years. It's alternated between being a primary and a backup, several times during that span. It's never been babied, and shows its mileage. It has never failed, and it has never given me a reason to think that its failure might be even a remote possibility. I've recently replaced it with a GK 1001RB-II, but it'll still travel with me as the trusty backup that is always worth its 20 pound weight.

That amp will serve you well, as will a Hartke cab. I'd look into the Hydrive 410 if I were you. I think I saw one in the classifieds here recently. I'd also recommend the HA3500 with an SWR Goliath III, since that is what I've always used it with.

4. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    Hydrive 4x10 or 1x15 or both..

Without question. Second to none in tone.

5. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I've used this head with the older Hartke XL series cabs, and it was REaLLy loud. It had pretty good tone too with all the knobs set to noon, preamp blended 50/50, and between song tweaks handled via my StingRay's onboard controls.

6. Archaeobass

Archaeobass

Dec 12, 2008
    Certainly shows a mastery of metaphor, though.

7. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    +1 on that.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I too have had a 3500...for closer to 16 years (maybe more?). Its always been a great sounding, solidly working amp. I would never think of selling it.

Enjoy your new amp.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Is that held in the bath tub?

Anyway, I saw America last night, and their bassist was playing what looked like an Ibanez SDgr throught a Hartke rig using a 410 and 115 cab side-by-side ( the ones with the aluminum cones). It actually sounded real good, although I suspect he was going direct through the board to the mains.

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    yES, LARRY IS FROM JERSEY. AND A WAY COOL GUY!

Based on your brief description te HyDrive 4X10 is your answer. Mine is sweet and really does have the perfect blend of paper and aluminum cone sounds.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll add another vote for the HyDrive cabs, though I've only tested one once and don't really remember what I thought, BUT, JimmyM likes 'em, and that's good enough for me.

12. Thank you all for the advice, I was already looking into the Hydrive line, looks like a winner to me. I will go out and play some when my head arrives.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021