Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

larry tayler????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by debassed one, Aug 29, 2003.

1. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    Any old scholer's remember Larry Taylor from canned heat in the 60's, then touring with John mayhall in the 70's. I was inspired to be a bassist, instead of guitar, by watching him play his fender for 4 hours one summer night. Anybody know what recordings besides canned heat he played on, or what happened to him later. love to know. He use to play that fender held upright like a man who had the groove pay him. thanks

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Larry Taylor was a big early influence on me when I first started playing! Great groove and always played cool solos:bassist: He mostly plays upright bass these days with Tom Waits.

3. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    With tom waits, outstanding!!! I will throughly
    check it out. I watched him play 3 hours, then stop for 15 minutes, so the management at the old
    action house in long beach, Long Island could sell pizza and beer,etc. as part of their contract, then go on to play appx. 3 hours more, would have kept playing if union did not oject. never sat down, took a drink, a smoke, noticable toke, or bathroom break, just a few solo's, Never missed a beat, stopped rocking back and forth, or dropped a groove. amazing. thanks

4. OldDawg

OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Larry Taylor was one of my first influences on bass back in the Canned Heat days. I know he did some work with Richard Greene for awhile. I was hanging out at the sesson and the engineer asked Larry what kind of bass sound did he want. Larry told the engineer he wanted his bass to sound like a car with glass pack mufflers. He love it because the engineer was the first one who understood the what he was looking for. That throaty rumble.

His brother was one of the guitarist of the Ventures, Mel Taylor.

5. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    Wow, never heard of richard greene, must have had a sheltered life! where would I check out the work larry did with r.greene? what music, label, group etc. thanks alot. I also remembered larry played with some brazilian musicans, that me met form playing with the orginal canned heats drummer, when he was alive. anybody, this ring a bell- thanks

6. OldDawg

OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Richard Greene was the violin player in a band called Seatrain that had some popularity in the 70's. After Seatrain Richard was doing his own thing that was country and fusion influenced. That's when I heard Larry with him. Here's a blurb from a website...

In addition to founding the revolutionary Folk-Rock group Seatrain (pioneering the electric violin in Rock), Greene has since collaborated with some of the world's most talented musicians: The Jim Kweskin Jug Band, Clarence White (Muleskinner), Old And In The Way, The Blues Project, Gary Burton, Emmylou Harris, Tony Rice, Loggins & Messina, Peter Rowan, Rod Stewart, Jerry Garcia, Bruce Springsteen, Melissa Manchester, James Taylor, Dolly Parton, George Strait, Bob Seger, Andreas Vollenweider, Brian Wilson, Herbie Hancock, Van Dyke Parks, David Grisman, Crosby Stills & Nash, Buell Neidlinger, Deana Carter, Phish, Ice-T and many others. Richard (with David Grisman in The Great American Music Band) is one of the undisputed inventors of "NewGrass" or "New Acoustic" instrumental music. While working as one of Los Angeles' premier string session players he founded the innovative Greene String Quartet (circa 1985) inventing the 1st ever amalgam of Jazz-Folk-Rock-Chamber music and producing three influential recordings. He also has three acclaimed releases with his all-instrumental Americana band The Grass Is Greener, a star attraction at Americana festivals all over the world. In 1997 he received a Grammy and two IBMA year-end awards for his work on True Life Blues, a Bill Monroe tribute for Sugar Hill Records. He currently leads seminars on all aspects of fiddling and violin playing nationwide, teaching courses at The Mancini Institute, the RockyGrass Academy, the Festival of Fiddle Tunes, the Mark O'Connor Fiddle Camp and dozens of ad hoc workshops throughout the year. Also this year look for Richard Greene's 1st Concerto for Violin and Orchestra.

7. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    Well, as usual, when I overlook somebody of mega-talent, it's because there are hidden so deeply in plain site. I learn a few things on talkbass. I guess, larry taylor, would be difficult to cull from among richards works, but thanks, I will check it out.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Check out Larry's playing with Kim Wilson.
    And Hollywood Fats. Great playing.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I always enjoyed Seatrain's bassist Andy Kulberg's work with both Seatrain & Blues Project!