Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Larry Taylor: Anybody heard of him?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zillo, Jan 10, 2005.

1. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    I was given a John Mayall collection for Christmas...Room to Move 1969-1974.

Pretty good stuff if you like blues with a little twist.

Anyway, Larry Taylor plays bass on many of the cuts. Man, he is a groove monster! He is in the pocket and will not let go. He also solos several times, particularly on Nature's Diasappearring and My Pretty Girl. he nebver loses the groove, melodic, tasteful. Very nice.

I am familiar with his playing with Canned Heat. Good rocking boogie, but just bot the same melodicism.

Check him out if you get the chance...not a well known player, I think, but he tears it up.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    One of the first bass only tunes I ever heard was a two bass blues tune on a Mayall album, TAYLOR ROCKS. Another good player and Mayall alum is Andy Fraiser from Free. The rock and blues players from that era are way underrated after all jerry jermont got famous with BB and I guess Cream had a pretty well known bassist!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Larry's been very busy since leaving Mayall. He plays only DB for the most part these days. He doesn't even own a bass guitar any more!

He also is a good blues guitarist, he played guitar in one of the more recent Canned Heat lineups.

Some other artists Larry has worked with: Tom Waits, Kim Wilson, Hollywood Fats, Rod Piazza, Junior Watson, Lynwood Slim.

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    ahh yes a good sampleling of larry taylor is jazz blues fusion by john mayal live in boston a good listen!!!

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Larry is a great groove player.
    I dig his upright playing.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When I first started playing bass, I would listen to Larry with Mayall & Canned Heat a lot......same with Andy Fraser who was another of my big time favorites from that time.