1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Larry Taylor?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hublocker, May 24, 2007.

1. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    Whatever became of Larry Taylor?

I just found some 1967 concert footage of Canned heat and they were umm.. Smokin'.

Larry was so hot right out of the gate with that band.

I learned a killer bass line that I use all the time from a lesson he had in Guitar play years ago.

I had never thought of going from a high tonic note and then to lower notes in a walking bass line before.

It was a complete epiphany.

2. JumpKing

JumpKing

Mar 4, 2007
    He plays with a lot of westcoast blues now (Kim Wilson, Kid Ramos, Junior Watson and Hollywood Fats). IMO he is the best in this genre. Most of the time he plays a UB.
    He also plays with Tom Waits.

3. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Larry is a big influence .
    Played a fretted P-bass with Canned heat.
    Then went to fretless P-bass.
    Then to upright.

The best of the westcoast players.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    He was on a few John Mayall albums around '69/'70. He and fellow bassist Stephen Thompson played a lovely solo duet on Mayall's "Empty Rooms" album. While we are on the subject, does anyone know what happened to Thompson ?

5. hangman

hangman Supporting Member

Larry was a teenager when he went on the road with Jerry Lee Lewis. He also did session work, ending up on some of the Monkees recordings.
    Larry's brother, Mel Taylor, played drums in the Ventures during the 60s.
    FYI, Michael Mann, aka Hollywood Fats, died in 1986.

6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    A big early influence on me! Larry's still doing it, mostly on upright. On the recent various blues DVD/CD 'Lightning In A Bottle', he shares bass duties with Willie Weeks. He also is Tom Waites bassist.

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I was into Canned Heat when they came out and liked Larry Taylor and read what I could find about him. IIRC he was playing with Jerry Lee Lewis two years after he started playing bass. I still have the first Canned Heat album on vinyl.

Al Wilson was one of the best white blues guys of all time, IMO.

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Wow, great memories! I first heard Larry at the Aquarius Theatre on Sunset in Hollywood in the mid-sixties, he was/is a really great player. The last time I saw him live was in the seventies at the Forum in L.A. we were both playing that night and he did an amazing solo. I also ran into him on the road a couple of times. Since those days I've only seen him on the tube playing upright and he still has that groove!

George

9. Tom Howland

Feb 11, 2003
    Cool DVD.
    Larry is in the pocket.

10. I started playing with an acoustic singer/songwriter/guitarist this past winter and listened to a lot of Larry's playing with Tom Waits for inspiration. Great player.

11. JumpKing

JumpKing

Mar 4, 2007
    I know, but i am still in denial :)

12. Wow, great memories are flooding back into my brain. Canned Heat was the first concert I ever went to - I think it was 1970. Yes, I did inhale... I remember how Larry Taylor and drummer Fito de la Parra (sp?) teamed up to shovel out steaming piles of delicous re-fried boogie. That first live concert was a life changing experience for me :) Those were the days, my friend.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Wow, Talk about memories, that was probably the first solo bass thing I ever heard as a kid ( sixth grade) that really inspired me to pick up the bass. I had completely forgotten about that duet. Thanks

14. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Larry was one of my first bass heros and I knew how to play most of his solo on Fried Hockey Boogie. I got to sit-in with lots of bands to jam on that tune and do the solo.

I got to hang at a recording session years later Larry was playing bass on. I think it was for Richard Greene of SeaTrain fame. I remember the engineer asking Larry what kind of sound he want for his bass. Larry said I alway ask but no one knows what I'm talking about. Larry said he wanted he bass to sound like a glasspack mufflers. The engineer being a car nut knew exactly what Larry was talking about and Larry was loving the throaty rumble coming through the monitors.

15. swashbuckler

swashbuckler

May 29, 2007
    Larry has a very unique approach in his style. I've studied his playing since 67 and still to this day, I am constantly impressed with the unusual choice of notes and patterns he applies to even the simplest of tunes. His 'groove' is nothing less than amazing. As solid as anyone I've listened to, if not more so. It was an honor to hang out with him and talk about the the bassists who inspired him when he was coming up. He is a great guy who deserves the reputation of a true master of his chosen craft....

16. Tom Howland

Feb 11, 2003
    +1.
    His note choice alway killed me to.

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Larry has also done spells playing guitar in Canned Heat rather than bass.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021