Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lars and joey.Your opinions.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MOK BASS #1, Feb 16, 2005.

1. I was wondering what people thought of Metallicas lars ulrich and Slipknots joey jordision.

Thanks

2. Although it's recently come to my attention that I am a little more that bat guano (probably due to density and texture), I'll add my opinion.

Don't know squat about Joey, Lars over drums a bit. I stopped buying Metallica albums after the Black Disaster (I still plug in the old stuff), but YMMV.

Mike

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Okay, I was having fun, and now it's just a bore. Look, your ruse isn't working. Same threads, over and over?

Claiming the following bands have never, nor will be, on MTV (In your own words "None Of The Bands above that i mentioned.were or ever have been on mtv.Know why cause mtv hates real music.I.E Rock/Metal etc.")": "AC/DC,SYSTEM OF A DOWN,METALLICA,SLIPKNOT,QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE,FOO FIGHTERS,GREEN DAY,STONE SOUR,TAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE."

Meanwhile, if nothing else, Rage against the Machine had their own special "Rage TV" a couple years back. So did Metallica (MTV Icon?), and Green Day was borne of MTV videos.

If you han't said that, I'd think you merely dense. However, you screwed up, yo. Never be so ignorant as to be unbelievable. It's that simple. A+ for trolling effort, F for persistance.

Go to guitar.com. They've more patience for such frippery.

4. Pardon my ignorance...did I miss something?

Mike

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yeah... All of those bands were on MTV... Even Slipknot, That how I heard of them, they showed one video, banned 'em for awhile, then boasted "Too much for MTV" which is just a big comercial really...

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ok, Ill give you a real answer...

I like Joey, He is very talented, and I prefer his "Capabilities" to Larz...

That being said, my favorite drummer is Virgil Donati.

Far superior to any drummer (Just a personal opinion)

8. Ah. Sorry. Additionally, I'm just not a fan of Lars as a person. I haven't sat down with him and had a conversation or anything, but his perceived ego is grating.

Mike

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Metallica had their moment of "cool". These days, it all seems so much about nothing. With their music going on a predictable trajectory.

I haven't heard enough of Slipknot to have an opinion.

As far as drummers go, for their genres, they're both probably just fine...to a point. What point is that you may ask? To the point when I have to start listening to them.

10. they are ok drummers. they can play fast...and thats what they do...a lot of drummers can play fast. neal peart can play fast too. i like him, and that guy from dream theatre can play fast.
    i like garth too

11. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    with your attitude i'm sure you never will meet him :rollno: , one of the smartest people in the music biz, and an excellent drummer, but i do agreee = you are sorry :smug:

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Jordison: Absolutely no heart at all in his music making. He's got serious chops (speed) but if he wasn't as quick as he is...he'd be nothing when it comes to playing drums.

Ulrich: Ego maniac and no more impressive than the other thousands of drummers who do nothing but the same 4-5 beats over and over. He definately gets my vote for "Who is the biggest nerd in rock music today"?

You wanna see some awesome percussion work??

Dennis Chambers.

13. Resisting temptation to respond.

Mike

14. Based on what I've heard from Jordison, which is mostly the first Slipknot disc, I like him. Seems to have a lot of energy.

Lars doesn't seem to have much in the way of chops or timing or anything other than ego IMO... there are many, many metal drummers out there who are better.

15. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Dunno...My favorite rock drummer is Jimmy Chamberlain. Hands down. He plays tasteful, powerful, moving drums in everything from hook-laden pop to some really heavy stuff. And his interplay with corgan is amazing. Those two were born to play together. Listen to the song Jesus I/Mary Star of the Sea, mostly after the Jesus I part. Mmmmmm.

16. Dream Theater guy = Mike Portnoy, modern drummers hall of fame. He's prolly my favorite drummer.

I haven't heard enough of either band to make a statement other than the slipknot guy can play fast.

17. Mike, you gotta love this guy!

Oops. I crapped my pants. Again.

[​IMG]

I forgot to answer the question. I don't like Slipknob, Joey could be a great drummer for all I know. I used to think Lars was great, but that was years ago.

18. What's not to like? There's an especially complimentary statement about me and canine fecal matter in another thread (I'm considering using it for my sig...but I just changed it to the gravitational constant....and it holds a special place in my heart). The most entertaining part has been trying to figure out what I've said that pushed the button. Normally, I'm cognizant of what might hack off someone...but this kinda came out of the blue.

Back on topic: Besides the annoying snare (a mixing issue, in my opinion) I was impressed that Lars attempted to change a bit for Stanger. I don't like the album, but I appreciate the effort.

Mike

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Weak? More like month!

20. Joey is the greatest drummer in history in my opinion.