Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lars Danielsson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by oystein, May 7, 2005.

1. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hi,
    These days I am listening a lot to the Swedish bass player Lars Danielsson. What an amazing player, quite surprised there's so little about him on this forum. I recommend the records with Lars Jansson Trio (a treasure in its own right). His tone and playing is to put it simple wonderful. Also check out his contribution on Norwegian Sax player Tore Brunborg's recording "Gravity" if you can. Highly recommended.
    'I have not yet heard Lars' latest record "Libera Me" but will do soon.

oystein

2. Hi Øystein.

I would also recommend the cd's with his wife Cæcilie Norby "London-Paris", "My Corner of the sky" and "Queen of bad excuses". It has some really solid playing in it...

I attended a clinic with him last summer at "Brandbjerg Højskole". He's a really nice guy and he has so much music in him. The other teachers at were Cæcilie Norby, Danny Gottlieb and a danish pianoplayer named Nikolaj Hess. Every night when Lars and Cæcilie had put their kids to sleep (all 4 of them), they all met to jam. All the students sat in the room and listened to them, it was like a special concert just for us every night! What a blast...

So if you guys haven't heard him, you should...

BTW there are a cd with him called "fast company", guess why they choose that title. :)

Mr. Engberg, Denmark. (The land of NHOP, RIP)

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I checked out his website...showed a bunch of slab work, with Mary J Blige, etc...same guy? Sorry, couldn't translate the text.

Whoops, never mind, found some clips at CDUniverse.

4. Hi Marcus!

I understand your confusion. There are two bassplayers named Lars Danielsson, one is danish and one is swedish. The dane in an electric player who played with Mary J. Blige, Michael Ruff and numerous other pop/rock acts, the swede is the double bass guy! I don't think the swede has a webpage...

"Jukkis Uotila-
    Jerry Bergonzi: FAST COMPANY

(Blue Jackel BJAC 5022-2)

Personnel:

Jerry Bergonzi-tenor sax
    Joey Calderazzo-piano
    Lars Danielsson-bass
    Jukkis Uotila-drums
    Recorded at YLE in Helsinki, Finland, February 1996"

This is the cd I mentioned in my previous message, check it out!!!

Lars Danielsson is actually a classically educated cellist (sp?). He did a duo version of "Halleluja" with Cæcilie on the last concert I heard with them and i was breathtaking!!! They also did a small concert at Brandbjerg Højskole last summer with only bass/vocal duets! :eek: Very high level of musicianship from both of them...

Mr. Engberg, Denmark. (The land of NHOP, RIP)

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Are the records available much outside of Europe? Do they tour much outside of Europe?

I know those are generally the reasons that there are any number of great NYC musicians who nobody has ever heard of, because they aren't on a record that gets much airplay outside the city and they generally don't tour that big.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a CD with Lars Danielsson, which has some great DB playing as well as an original composition from him - but I must admit I bought it mistakenly ...;)

So the cover says : Ulrik,Scofield,Danielsson,Erskine - and at the time I was looking for CDs with Palle Danielsson and thought - wow, I can't go wrong : John Scofield, Pete Erskine and Palle Danielsson - but it is pretty good! :)

So it is like the Prize for Hans Ulrik (Sax Player) - he got to record and gig with the musicians of his choice, funded by the Danish JAZZPAR project.

(other winners have included Jim Hall, Chris Potter, Lee Konitz etc )

7. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Ed,
    Lars Danielssons records are available through Amazon as far as I can see. So are some of the records he contributes on. You can also do listen to some samples there, I know it does not do a record full justice.

As for touring schedule in US I can not be of much help. His label (ACT) lists only a few dates on their web site, all in Europe.

Oystein

8. Hi Bruce...

I don't think this cd gives Lars what he deserves. He is much more than just a bassplayer keeping the time in the background... The Lars Jansson Trio is a very good example of his solo playing, which is in the tradition of the great nordic bassplayers like Palle Danielsson, Arild Andersen, NHOP and Anders Jormin.

Mr. Engberg, Denmark.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with his contribution on that CD - and I don't think you can get better partners than Erskine and Scofield...? :)

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, that's kinda the point. Neal Miner, Jon Hebert, Dave Ambrosio, Ugonna Okegwo, Mary Ann McSweeney, Paul Gill, Carlo DeRosa, David Ephross,Thomas Morgan, Paul Beaudry, Mike McGuirk, Nathan Peck, Eric Lemon, jeez I'll just stop now.

Every one of these folks is on inumerable recordings, play regularly with folks whose records we all have etc. etc. But how many of them are you familiar with? How many Americans outside of NYC are familiar with them? Not a lot, I can tell you.

So yes, it's too bad that more people don't know them and their playing. It's too bad that they aren't household names.

But it's not "quite surprising".

11. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Ed, you're right. I guess I was just a bit over the top excited after discovering another top line bassist until recently unfamiliar to me.

Oystein

12. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hi MR.Engberg,
    Just out of curiousity, what kind of bass did Lars play and how was it set up. I know it's all in the hands, but he sounds always so good. I assume he's using spirocores, but I've been wrong before.

Oystein

13. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I will jump in here and agree that Lars Danielsson is a superb bass player. Great groove and sound as well as stunning ideas!

Right now I'm listening to Lars Jansson's latest album "I am that".

It says LD is using Wilson pickups, DPA microphones and Roland Equipment. As far as strings go I can't help you.

/lovebown

14. Hi Øystein!

I think his bass was strung with an old set of spiros. I remember some kind of red winding at the tailpiece, could it be something else tham spiros?
    He has a very old bass which is shaped almost like a cello. It is very dark looking and sounding...

As far as mics and pu's, he had a realist and some kind of microphone, could be a DPA. I don't remember any Wilson pu, but I could be wrong. He used a Boss Octaver for some of his solos and chording, and then he had a reverb also from Boss. He played through a GK150 which was already there, and send a signal from the mic to the PA...

He borrowed my bass every night for the jam because he wouldn't play his own with people being drunk and all, and of course he sounded like Lars with my carved 1970's german with a realist and Helicores, through a ****ty Hartke alucone amp... :rolleyes:

We didn't really talk about his bass, setup and strings and all that, as we drank beer a listened to records instead! :cool:

Mr. Engberg, Denmark.

15. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
  16. PatrikHanson

PatrikHanson

Apr 24, 2005
    I guess enough has been said here, I just wanted to tell you that Lars has made two records with Dave Liebman that has many of his own outstanding compositions as well as great bassplaying. they're called "Far north" and "Live at Visiones". both are with Jon Christensen on drums and Bobo Stenson on Piano. There is also a great record by Lars with varying personel called "European voices".

Lars started out on cello and his arco is very nice. his style is extremely melodic and his intonation is very good.

17. I just got the Jazziz January sampler, and it has the song "Astra" from the album Libera Me by Lars Danielsson.

Incredible. Very nice, tasteful playing. Wonderful solo. I'm going to have to check out some more.